• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter media recommendations

jalexst

Hello everybody,

So having finally researched a little about filter media I hear that Carbon can remove plant nutrients from the water.

Currently I am using what arrived with my Fluval 305; Sponges, 3 x Carbon packets, 3 x BioMax ceramic rings, and in addition to that some filter wool.

What I would like to know is what everyone uses, and has had success with and how often you change yours, as the Fluval guide says carbon should be changed monthly and the Ceramic rings every three months.

Also with the recomended media inserted, there is still a lot of room. Is it wise to fill the space with more media? or is there a nock-on negative effect from this?

Thanks for your expertise!

Sorry peeps, and mods, I seemed to have posted this twice!

You don't need carbon but it's a bonus if you leave it in. It doesn't remove a massive amount of ferts, infact I remember somewhere on here it being used often with no adverse effects on plants etc. if its not changed after so long it just becomes bio media and a good one at that too :0)

Is this true Alastair. I always believed Carbon had a negative effect on Micro nutrients? I suppose if your dosing E.I though, and the quantitys involved in doing so, then any absorbtion from the Carbon would be minimal in comparison to quantitys dosed?
Hhhmmmmm, I was wondering what to put in that spare chamber on the G6, may have to dig out my old carbon stash? ;)

Is this true Alastair. I always believed Carbon had a negative effect on Micro nutrients? I suppose if your dosing E.I though, and the quantitys involved in doing so, then any absorbtion from the Carbon would be minimal in comparison to quantitys dosed?
Hhhmmmmm, I was wondering what to put in that spare chamber on the G6, may have to dig out my old carbon stash?

You are absolutely right that the effect of fert adsorption is minimal if dosing EI. I run carbon in my filter, I think that the good outweighs the bad. Carbon can remove pollutants and polish the water, especially when using bog wood. It also removes dissolved organics too. If you are worried about it adsorbing ferts then alternatives are available such as purigen from seachem. It apparently does the same as carbon but doesn't adsorb ferts. I think also that it can be re used when loaded by soaking it in bleach.

Thanks guys. What is E.I dosing? I am using an all in one, (ferrapol) but when I run out I'm switching to TPN.

jalexst said:
Thanks guys. What is E.I dosing? I am using an all in one, (ferrapol) but when I run out I'm switching to TPN.
Ei dosing is estimating index. It's basically where you supply the plants an excess of all nutrients needed to ensure there is no shortage..
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1211 that link will help tons mate. Also, you use ferrapol however this lacks nitrate and phosphates which plants need. It was always thought they cause algae so were left out. They don't however. The above tutorial is great. And should you decide you want to go that route, and are struggling by all means I'll help, or anyone on here will for that matter.

Quetzalcoatl said:
Hhhmmmmm, I was wondering what to put in that spare chamber on the G6, may have to dig out my old carbon stash? ;)

As Matt said mate, it is true. Your dosing ei anyway so anything that could possibly be absorbed would be very minimal if that.

Dug out my old carbon stash and filled that empty Chemical chamber. :thumbup: I always liked the way Carbon polished my water but had put it away fearing it was doing more harm than good? I have been following Mark Evans thread on syphoning HC, I will be getting hold of some Purigen over christmas, the water clarity in his tanks are always awsome :wideyed:

jalexst, if you are swapping over to TPN, make sure it`s the TPN+ version! Because like Alastair says you need to be dosing N,P,K aswel as Trace elements. And the TPN+ contains everything you need. I have used it in the past it worked great. However I swapped over to E.i as my tank became more high tech. It was becoming very expensive. What size tank do you have?

Quetzalcoatl said:
Dug out my old carbon stash and filled that empty Chemical chamber. :thumbup: I always liked the way Carbon polished my water but had put it away fearing it was doing more harm than good? I have been following Mark Evans thread on syphoning HC, I will be getting hold of some Purigen over christmas, the water clarity in his tanks are always awsome :wideyed:

Do you have a link to that thread or can you tell me how to find it please ? Im off to get some purigen too :)

Back