• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter floss layer in substrate

yiddy

Seedling
Hi, just wondering if any of you think this is a stupid idea or not? I will be setting up a new 5ft tank in the near future that will be heavily planted with plenty of wood and rocks. I was thinking a bottom layer of aqua soil then laying a sheet of filter floss over that before capping with sand. Would have thought the floss would act as a great anchor for the plants roots and give a little protection to the aquarium from the heavy rocks, but don't know if the floss in the substrate would cause any issues other than if I wanted to uproot plants. Opinions and advice very much appreciated

Personally I wouldn’t do it. One reason being moving plants. Once the roots are anchored in the floss, moving it will upset everything else. I’m also not sure about keeping it clean. I can se it getting cloggged over time with no easy way to clean it.

Personally I wouldn’t do it. One reason being moving plants. Once the roots are anchored in the floss, moving it will upset everything else. I’m also not sure about keeping it clean. I can se it getting cloggged over time with no easy way to clean it.
I agree with @hypnogogia. I would also see this start to rot over time.

Back