• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

film/scum on top of water

pjf220

Seedling
I've had aquariums for years, but this is my first one with real plants. Only now have I noticed a film/scum that builds up on the surface. I can only put this down to the live plants. Is this normal and is there anything I can do or should be doing about it?

Hi pjf220
pjf220 said:
Only now have I noticed a film/scum that builds up on the surface. I can only put this down to the live plants.
You are indeed correct :D . I used to get this back in my early days of planted tanks :oops: .
But your plants are telling you they are not well.
Fix your plants and your waters surface will be like a mirror.
Another good read is here
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2389 (sorry klay your link to this post didn't work)
Pay particular attention to the reply on page 2 by Clive (aka ceg4048). This is where I learnt how to fix it :D
See for yourself in the opening pic in the journal attached to my signature ;)
The tank layout is rubbish, but the surface is like a mirror :D

I've read with great interest and I've already got just short of 12x flow and tghe CO2 has only been plumbed in a short time and I've just upped the amount. On top of this, I'd doubled the fert dosing. It seems fairly obvious once you read those threads that I've got it because I'm well stocked up and the plants are just fighting to grab the CO2 and fert I'm giving them and it's simply not enough to go round. It's a learning curve, but I'll get there.

Hi pjf220

It appears that you have all the 'right bits' to grow healthy plants like flow, CO2 & ferts. So now all you have to do is get them delivered to your plants in the right quantities, paying particular attention to CO2 delivery.
pjf220 said:
It's a learning curve, but I'll get there.
You certainly will :D .
Stick at it and I'm sure you'll be fine and if you're not, just holler.

Back