• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ferts on the cheap

vygec

I started up my first planted tank coming up to a couple of months ago, and have been using AquariumPlantFoodUK's AllinOne Fert.
Is there any other method of using ferts which is cheaper than this method?
My tank is 350litres, so i get through quite a bit.
Ta

vygec said:
I started up my first planted tank coming up to a couple of months ago, and have been using AquariumPlantFoodUK's AllinOne Fert.
Is there any other method of using ferts which is cheaper than this method?
My tank is 350litres, so i get through quite a bit.
Ta

Take a gander in the 'Aquarium Fert Dosing' forum on here. You will find some articles on using the Estimative Index (EI) method of dosing ferts by using powders that you can either add directly or mix into a liquid (easier IMO). It may seem a little daunting but it is actually pretty easy. A lot of the guys on here use it, and I will be too soon, and it saves a fortune apparently. You can also be a lot more PRECISE as to supplying your plants needs.

Yea Ive been using commercial ferts for years and swear by JBL Products

Since being a member of UKAPS ive switched to a method called Estimative Index

basically using the raw ingredients to mix you own ferts sound complicated you may think but really not its very easy

there four basic Salts
  • Potassium Nitrate
    Monopotassium Phospate
    Magnesium Sulphate
    TNC Trace

You can make a wet mix in a dosing bottle or measure you salts out dry and mix them in the tank daily

The initial cost can be expensive to get every thing but the saving in the long run are exponential

You can buy the salts from here Fluid Sensor

To get the right dose use this calculator estimative calculators

looks like i'll have to read up about EI. ive always been put off, as it looks so complicated!
Are water changes necessary on a weekly basis? would fortnightly work?
i have a low light tank (1wpg), but i use pressurised co2.

you're already using them. the APF All in one you're using is basically a pre-mixed EI system which you just add water to to make your liquid. tbh I looked at the mix your own EI stuff and over time sure its cheaper but for £3.50 per month I just buy a packet of the APF stuff once a month and we're away

Back