• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fast growing moss

chris521957

Can anyone tell me a quick growing moss, which will grow onto items in the aquarium. for a low teck, low light aquarium. I am looking at tying the moss to wood and rock. Thanks for any info on this. Chris.

Hi

I've got some Java moss growing in my tank which seems to be growing pretty quick and it doesn't get a lot of light. I've also got some Christmas moss growing in a lunch box on the windowsill, it's only been there a couple of days but I can see a small difference in growth already.

Cheers

Jon

Ok thanks for that Jon. I have some java in the tank already, but it doesnt seem to be doing anything at all. Does the Xmas moss grow onto wood/stone.

Low tech tanks are slow burners mate
If wanted it to grow quick with better colour and form you'd have to go higher tech or a midway with co2

Thanks for that Nayr. I have a small aquagro co2 starter kit running in the tank, but i was looking at getting rid of it, maybe better to keep it then?

What size is the tank, I'd really only keep it if the tank was very very small, say 10l.
Your best bet would be to get a fire extinguisher set up. You have the bubble counter ect with your current kit so yourll save money there, then say around £25 for a 2kg FE and 30-50for a reg to fit.

I run mine high for almost a year on a 20l before it was empty

Its well worth looking into.
I wOuld buy a 2nd hand small co2 set if it was cheap on the forum for something no bigger than 15l and Id run it very low.

Also consider liquid carbon, aslong as your not keeping expensive shrimp :D

Tank is rio180. In the new year i am changing it to a cory tank. I am going to use pond plant compost as a base substrate capped with approx 4/5 cm os Unipac limpopo black sand, grains about 2/3 mm. i have 2 38w t8's running the length of the tank. I want it to be really low tech, as my work commitments atm dont allow me much time with it.Only 1 shrimp, an indian whisker shrimp ( almost a lobster now, it just wont stop growing).

A rio180 with a mini co2 kit!! Man you wallet must be crying :(

You have to go for the full co2 system

My java moss grows about 3" squared every few weeks with medium light no co2 no ferts.

No my wallet aint crying, its always laughing, just dont have the time to mess about with all this tachnical stuff, like i said, i was going to abandon it anyway. Thats the way i am going Mitchell, low tech, very.

Haha laughing at you not with ya :)

It's really not technical at all, it's the same as what your doing now, just bigger and not a rip off :)

Good luck

Back