• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fallen Tree

Are you saying.. you have alga issues so you have cut back on lighting & C02?
Hi foxfish
At the moment, I've shortened my photoperiod (total time including 120 minute ramp up and ramp down) to 7 hours - 12 midday to 7pm. Maximum brightness is set to 30%, so the lights are at this level from 2pm to 5pm - the other 4 hours they are either brightening or dimming.
I've got the CO2 running from 10am to 5pm, in other words from 2 hours before the lights begin to dim up to 5pm when they begin to dim down.

OK then, it was when you said .. ...at the moment I'm not dosing at all and pulled CO2 and lighting right back... I got worried!
Anyway - tuning the lights down & upping the C02 is the way to go, if you don't have any fish then turn it up big time & carry on with full ferts :)

OK then, it was when you said .. ...at the moment I'm not dosing at all and pulled CO2 and lighting right back... I got worried!
Anyway - tuning the lights down & upping the C02 is the way to go, if you don't have any fish then turn it up big time & carry on with full ferts :)
Thanks - I was running CO2 AND lights for 12 hours, with the lights at 100% for 6 of those hours, :nailbiting: and I think that's the main cause of the bloom - silly really, after all the patience and work of doing the DSM cycle....
Have just added some Otocinclus today, so can't crank it up too high - at about 4 BPM now. Am nervous to run it higher as I'm not home during the day to keep an eye on it.

Well your Otocinclus wont have half the effect of increased C02 but I guess you cant remove them now?
Lots of people are surprised how much C02 is required!
Yes, I have noticed this before, running CO2 hard, but back then I wasn't using a drop-checker, just watching my fish to make sure I wasn't dosing too much.
Now, I'm using a drop checker, and I'm nervous to crank up the CO2 because my pH is not seeming to change at all (6), even when the CO2 has been off for a couple of hours....?? Am I missing something?

Yes, I have noticed this before, running CO2 hard, but back then I wasn't using a drop-checker, just watching my fish to make sure I wasn't dosing too much.
Now, I'm using a drop checker, and I'm nervous to crank up the CO2 because my pH is not seeming to change at all (6), even when the CO2 has been off for a couple of hours....?? Am I missing something?
I am no expert but thought might try and help a little, firstly how are you checking your PH ? electronic ones are great I used to use test kit and didn't see much change so hopefully you have electric one also the aim to to get the PH to drop by 1 so when the co2 comes on if reading 6.2 you want it to be 5.2 at least by the time lights come on then usually doesn't drop much lower, how many bps are you supplying ? also does ur drop checker change colour ?

Thanks dean

I am no expert but thought might try and help a little, firstly how are you checking your PH ? electronic ones are great I used to use test kit and didn't see much change so hopefully you have electric one also the aim to to get the PH to drop by 1 so when the co2 comes on if reading 6.2 you want it to be 5.2 at least by the time lights come on then usually doesn't drop much lower, how many bps are you supplying ? also does ur drop checker change colour ?

Thanks dean
Hey Dean
More expert than me for sure, so comments very welcome :)
Using a drop checker, but with tank water - couldn't get 4 dKH this weekend, so making do. My RO comes out at 6.3 using a pH test kit so I add 30% tap water which brings it to about 7....
Running at 4 bps and my drop checker hasn't changed colour from Friday evening to today....

Hey Dean
More expert than me for sure, so comments very welcome :)
Using a drop checker, but with tank water - couldn't get 4 dKH this weekend, so making do. My RO comes out at 6.3 using a pH test kit so I add 30% tap water which brings it to about 7....
Running at 4 bps and my drop checker hasn't changed colour from Friday evening to today....
Just tested pH again and it's spot on 7 :)

thanks but seriously I am just learning like you mate slowly but surely ;) firstly not sure if will be reading correctly or efficiently using aquarium water as never heard of this only ever used 4dhk solution with bromo blue so that my be why not changing colour but maybe someone else will correct me also everyone told me to buy an electronic PH tester and honestly they are great, so much easier I got one like this

Electric Pocket Digital Ph Meter Tester Hydroponics Pen Aquarium Pool Water Test | eBay

takes an accurate and correct reading, I was using test kits and impossible to see slight colour differences and like you thought wasn't dropping but it was so I would advise purchasing a electric one like this 4bps is quite high so should be dropping I would get the reading right before going any further 4dhk and a PH tester :)

Thanks dean

Just checked on the bay - less than 8 quid - done deal :)

Don't forget to order some calibration fluid to go with it ;)

I've had my cheapy PH pen for 3 weeks or so now and found it pretty accurate and an excellent tool ;) I've calibrated weekly with PH 7 & PH 4 solution and it's not needed much adjustment (2 minute job anyhow).

Shame about your light problems, I suffered the same kling on levels of TMC power when I started up 2 months ago, and still cleaning up the mess now lol. Still running at 25% max with as much CO2 as I can with fish in!

Good luck :)

Don't forget to order some calibration fluid to go with it ;)

I've had my cheapy PH pen for 3 weeks or so now and found it pretty accurate and an excellent tool ;) I've calibrated weekly with PH 7 & PH 4 solution and it's not needed much adjustment (2 minute job anyhow).

Shame about your light problems, I suffered the same kling on levels of TMC power when I started up 2 months ago, and still cleaning up the mess now lol. Still running at 25% max with as much CO2 as I can with fish in!

Good luck :)
Hi Rob
Yes, I did check and the one I've ordered includes calibration fluid. Good to know that they work - I've been sceptical of my test kit for a while....
Lighting always seems to catch me out - I try to run my photo period long - I start work early and it's always nice to give the tank a quick check under lights before I leave and again when I get home - so I'm always pushing the limit in terms too many hours. I try to mitigate by having a long ramp time - 4 hours - and limit max to 35% inititially. This way, the tank is only getting the higher setting for a short period of time. But it is risky :facepalm:
Previously, I always thought you had to reduce CO2 during low-light periods, but the prevailing wisdom now seems to be to crank it quite hard....I'm at 6 bps now, but still not sure if this is right as I can't get an accurate read on pH / CO2 ppm. Got to get that sorted....

Hi Rob
Yes, I did check and the one I've ordered includes calibration fluid. Good to know that they work - I've been sceptical of my test kit for a while....
Lighting always seems to catch me out - I try to run my photo period long - I start work early and it's always nice to give the tank a quick check under lights before I leave and again when I get home - so I'm always pushing the limit in terms too many hours. I try to mitigate by having a long ramp time - 4 hours - and limit max to 35% inititially. This way, the tank is only getting the higher setting for a short period of time. But it is risky :facepalm:
Previously, I always thought you had to reduce CO2 during low-light periods, but the prevailing wisdom now seems to be to crank it quite hard....I'm at 6 bps now, but still not sure if this is right as I can't get an accurate read on pH / CO2 ppm. Got to get that sorted....

Hi mate could you not just set the minimum on your conyroller to 1 that way theres still a twinkle of light on the tank during lights off???

Hi mate could you not just set the minimum on your conyroller to 1 that way theres still a twinkle of light on the tank during lights off???
Good idea Al - yes, I think I'll try that, with a shorter burst of 35% in the middle of the day....

Actually, the tank seems to be coming back quite quickly...
PiakukB.jpg
New helpers....
CEW2v95.jpg
...doing a good job :)

Looking good mate nice perling plants what I like to see, carpet looking good so far patience is required and look great by the time fishes go in there

Dean

Thanks Dean

Back