• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

external filter hose?

discusdan

Hi all, I posted this question on my journal but need a quick answer if possible.

I found a split in my intake filter hose which was causing my filter to draw in air and push out loads of tiny bubbles that was turning the tank into fizz.

filter is a fluval 405
I've disconnected the filter and drained it all and taken the hose out, i was just about to order some fluval hoses when I remembered I had a load of green hose, I know i got it from a fish shop but not sure if its suitable to use as filter hose?

All it says on the hose is JBL 16/22.
I took some pictures of it. Do you think it would be ok to use this on the filter, it would save me a load of money if I could as the fluval hose is quite expensive.

Green hose next to the fluval

KWQmj.jpg

And the view from the end, looks a slightly thicker gauge?

869jl.jpg

let me know what you think, is it ok to use as filter hose?
thanks guys really appreciate the help.

yep, lol

I've got the green hose all hooked up but i'm having a nightmare trying to get the intake and out let to stay in position as the green hose isn't flexible at all. It's so stiff it just goes where it wants and the suction cups are not strong enough to keep it in place.
is there any way to soften it up a bit so its a bit more malleable?

yep, lol

I've got the green hose all hooked up but i'm having a nightmare trying to get the intake and out let to stay in position as the green hose isn't flexible at all. It's so stiff it just goes where it wants and the suction cups are not strong enough to keep it in place.
is there any way to soften it up a bit so its a bit more malleable?

Put it in a hot bath for a minute or so, and/or put something straight like a rod of some sort through it and leave to set straight.

Right, got up early to have another go and I think I'm going to have to knock it on the head. the green hose just isn't flexible enough to get round tight curves, it just kinks and flattens.
I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get some fluval hose.

cheers for all the help guys I appreciate it.

Managed to pick up some fluval hose from my local shop, It wasn't as pricey as I had thought. Got it all hooked up late last night and Its working like a charm now.

Thanks for all the replies guys much appreciated.

Back