• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External Filter for a 20 Liter Tank

KrishP

Hi Everyone,
I decieded to get back into fishkeeping/aquascaping, I am planning to set a small 20 litre tank and I was if anyone can recomend me a filter for this tank.
Thanks for the help.

Hi mate and welcome back to the hobby.

I am using the Eden 501 on my 20l nano and it is very good. Bought it from amazon for £28

:)

Hi mate and welcome back to the hobby. I am using the Eden 501 on my 20l nano and it is very good. Bought it from amazon for £28

Ahh that's one, I just couldn't remember the name of it! Thanks for your help!
One last question could you attach lilly pipes to the end of the Eden's pipes?

Antoni/Krish, sorry to butt in :) I am setting up an ADA Mini M (20l) with Eden 501. It will be a low tech affair probably for a single betta splendens, as such, it doesn't need much in the way of flow.

Do you think the Eden will work happily at a head of say 0.8 metres? As i'm planning on having the unit on the floor under the table/tank, the table is 700mm high and the tank a further 260mm'ish tall. I'm hoping it will work fine... :nailbiting:

Antoni/Krish, sorry to butt in :) I am setting up an ADA Mini M (20l) with Eden 501. It will be a low tech affair probably for a single betta splendens, as such, it doesn't need much in the way of flow.

Do you think the Eden will work happily at a head of say 0.8 metres? As i'm planning on having the unit on the floor under the table/tank, the table is 700mm high and the tank a further 260mm'ish tall. I'm hoping it will work fine... :nailbiting:

I've seen them units and doubt a 800mm head is achievable.

How can I stifle the flow for a betta then? Had a proper look last night and plenty of room rear of tank to site the filter, but with no head it will be too powerful i feel. Can I simply put a suitably sized valve on the return and close it off until I get the required low level of flow, or would this damage the pump in the filter?! Idea of largish head was to naturally slow the unit down... :)

Hi Rob, I don't think it will work at that height. It is recommended to be at the aquarium level and this is where I keep mine. Probably if you put it a bit lower 15-20 cm it will reduce the flow, but not sure - By the way I have the suspicion that the hoses will not be long enough, . Anyway the flow is not that strong :rolleyes:

Thanks Antoni, connected it up last night for a try (and to check the Mini M ;)) and all seems fine. I should be able to angle the outlet once hardscape in and create some calm areas, I ran it without the spraybar/plastic nozzle and it seems quite sedate. Nice and quiet too :)

It filters 150 liters an hour. Would this be enough for a 20 liter tank?

If hi tech probably not lol, sorry, I'd seen they did one that was 150lph but thought there may be others similar with higher output, didn't check first!

Low tech mine is hopefully going to be with liquid co2 and tropica ferts

Wouldn't like to say, the Eden is rated at 300lph but as Antoni suggested it's not that fierce even after trying in my 20 litre earlier this week :)

I think Im just going to have to pay the extra and go for an eden...

Just brought one for £25 it took along time to find a site that sells it at a good price

Back