• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Experiences with A.I.

Simon Cole

I do find myself turning more and more to the Bing chatbot. Sometimes it does quite well, other times not.

I asked it a few days ago about the production of diatoms. Firstly it pointed out that most are marine harvested, with some eaten as food, and, when I challenged it to come up with a more pragmatic scientific answer, it then went on to tell me about the industrial journal of diatom manufacture and research and how best to contact their associates. It was a firm 10/10.

But today I asked it about perlite. It fell into a strop with me when I pointed out that it was contradicting itself, and that perlite is clearly manmade. I said it needed to be open to learning by deductive reasoning,... and then it broke. Kaput. Only a 1/10 today.

Do you get on with it?

Last edited:
Hi Simon, for disclosure I'm doing scientific work in the field of Generative Pre-trained Transformers - better known as GPT's - everything I do relates to imaging though, but the principles are the same. One thing to really understand and appreciate is that these systems do not conjure up any novel information or insights. It's all drawn from human research, experiences and factual events. The "answers" are essentially drawn from the information that are already out there and packaged in neat and convincing language without any hints to how accurate the answers might be (GPT's are excellent liar's and con artists). That is the biggest culprit at the current stage. Due to the mounting copyright and acknowledgement issues facing these systems, future generation GPT's will include a comprehensive citation list in addition to their answers (some already do to some extent), so users can see what sources the answers are actually derived from.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
@MichaelJ Epic work topic. Love it.
@hypnogogia At least it's not threatening judgement day if you do not accept.

It is really kicking butt tonight. I wonder how many people would know which carnivorous plants are likely to be the most shade tolerant. Another 10/10.

1691117930680.png

It is really kicking butt tonight. I wonder how many people would know which carnivorous plants are likely to be the most shade tolerant. Another 10/10.
I for sure wouldn't know... but you see, at this stage it's "just" a really neat and powerful evolution of search. You get a nice digest, but you're not really getting anything that you couldn't find or figure out yourself by binging or googleing around. Personally, I couldn't think of a single question in a professional domain specific context to ask where I would rely on a GPT to provide me with the answer...However, I am much more convinced today, that that day will come sooner rather than later than I was say 2-3 years ago.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I wonder how many people would know which carnivorous plants are likely to be the most shade tolerant.

My best guess would be the Nephentes AFAIK these are epiphytes growing on the trees below the canopy of the jungles in the Indonesian Archipelago region. I believe Borneo is the epic centre of the genus. Most other carnivorous plants sp. on the globe inhabit more or less open wetlands.

What the AI failed to mention regarding Nephentes sp. is divided into 2 groups, the Highland en Lowland sp. and all the commercially nursed plants from this genus are Highland sp. (hybrids) because these are most tolerant to grow in lower temperatures. The lowland sp. is about impossible to keep outside of a well-regulated warm and moist terrarium or greenhouse simulating its natural habitat. And only available to us from specially dedicated sources. I've never been there but from what I've seen in documentaries from this region the Highland jungles seem to be less dense in vegetation than the lowland jungles, it might be that the lowland sp. is the most shade tolerant of the 2. But then again the highland jungles are very high and mainly in the foggy clouds most of the day.

@zozo Thank you :thumbup: I've spent much of the morning looking at them. I don't think many of them would cope - windowsill with 3 hours direct sun due to trees. What is really stimulating me right now is the Bog orchid Pogonia ophioglossoides. Has anybody tried it emersed/raised marginal?
1691130942187.png
1691133554454.png

@MichaelJ - I reckon the Bing A.I. was actually borrowing information from a YouTube video that had been subtitled. Cool. However it is a bit free and easy about personal information.

Last edited:
At least it's not threatening judgement day if you do not accept.

I've had a play with ChatGPT and Bard - first thing I asked them was whether they had any plans to annihilate the human race. I didn't much like the slightly obscured dodging answers I got lol

I forgave it though after it managed to write 10 blog articles for our business website in about 5 minutes, saving me 10+ hours work!

I had a play with ChatGPT, and it's hit-and-miss, if you want a quick answer to something might be helpful, but you need to know how to formulate the question in a manner to get the answer you are looking for.
It's good in some things but some of it take it with a pinch of salt and verify the answer! If you don't want to crawl through pages and pages on Google a lot of time it will give you some valid answers for basic stuff, the good thing about it is also you can ask follow up questions like a conversation, but as mentioned before it can also start to contradict itself!

I might integrate it with UKAPS and let ChatGPT answer first to all question asked on UKAPS :p

(GPT's are excellent liar's and con artists).
I figured this out while asking it for quick answers to run-of-the-mill questions for University. At one point, it started flat-out inventing stuff. Like "yes, this is regulated in X article of the Civil and Commercial Code" and when I checked it it wat total bs.

I figured this out while asking it for quick answers to run-of-the-mill questions for University. At one point, it started flat-out inventing stuff. Like "yes, this is regulated in X article of the Civil and Commercial Code" and when I checked it it wat total bs.
Yep, verify the answers if you are going to submit them for someone else! It has a tendency of making stuff up! Even with standard of the mill technical questions! LOL At least will be easy to catch people using GPT! lol

I haven't used Bing but I used ChatGPT to write a bunch of Excel VBA code. It got 80% of the way there on the first try. Pretty handy. Iterating the code was hit and miss though - I would explain the error and ask for updated code, it would acknowledge the mistake and apologise... then reproduce basically the same code with a slightly different error in it. Sigh.
Maybe it was the 'prompt engineer' rather than the GPT at fault...
My colleague says GPT is terrible at R code but not bad at python. I take his word for it.

They tried to make AI 'work' like a typical human.
It gave out misinformation.
They succeeded.
:)
Mission failed successfully! :)

My colleague says GPT is terrible at R code but not bad at python. I take his word for it.
It doesn't take a lot of variables into account, I found it totally unreliable at times!

Back