• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Excessive buce melt

Miniandy

I'm having significant issues with bucephalandra melt. They are attached (glue on the roots) to rocks and placed in the aquarium and all was well for a couple of weeks, but they are now melting badly. At first I thought that it might have been transition, but alas when syphoning off some diatoms I noticed that the rhizome is also suffering and has melted away completely in places :oops:.

My tropica app tells me that the aquarium is now 25 days old. The first two or so weeks the bucephalandra looked fine, but was not growing (no new leaves that I saw). I have a mix of tissue culture plants and some larger plants. The only ones affected are the tissue culture varieties (kedagang, bukit kelam and needle leaf). I also have a tissue culture anubias mini coin which is healthy and putting out new leaves like a champ. There are a few bits of buce from a mix purchased from here which is 'existing' - no growth, but also no melt.

With the exception of some Monte Carlo and the Hygrophila pinnatifida which both melted quickly in the first week I've had no other plant related issues. Both the Monte Carlo (attached to hardscape) and the pinnatifida (planted and attached to hardscape) are recovering well. Growth on the rest of the plants is slow, but generally good. The Limnophila sessiliflora is nearly at the surface (temporary helping plant) and the rest of the stems are growing well, the H'ra is starting to colour up.

I am on around 70% water change twice a week on the current schedule.

The aquarium is 220litres, is filtered by a pre-cycled 1000l per hour external canister filter and is kept at 23deg C. There are around 6000 lumens of light put out by generic 6500k LED lighting and Co2 injection measured with a 1ph drop (thanks to help in another thread). Kh is around 2-3 and Gh is around 5-6. I have tropic aqua soil in the aquarium, significant amounts of wood and slate / stone.

I thought buce was fairly bullet proof, but clearly i've got something wrong. Any suggestions?

Full plant list

Invitro plants:
Rotala rotundifolia 'Green'
Rotala rotundifolia 'H'ra'
Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini'
Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini'
Helanthium Tenellum 'Green'
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Littorella uniflora
Micranthemum tweediei 'Monte Carlo'
Sagittaria subulata
Anubias barteri
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Cryptocoryne parva
Hottonia palustris
Phyllanthus fluitans
Bucephalandra sp 'Needle Leaf'
Bucephalandra kedagang
Bucephalandra bukit kelam

Potted / other plants
Hygrophila corymbosa 'Siamensis 53B'
Limnophila sessiliflora
+a few bit of moss here and there
+a few sections of buce mix sourced from here (most is in another grow out tank)

Hi @Miniandy, Please post a couple of pictures and some additional information - see link below:

Cheers,
Michael

Hi,
I've not really got any suggestions for you to improve your current situation but I personally would not have inserted any Crypts or Buce especially Invitro into such an immature tank.
I learnt the hard (expensive) way a good few years ago.
More recently (up until my tank was brimming with said plants, a few of which are now lost to overcrowding) I've used an emersed nursery (dry start for plants and not tank) 40cm cube aquarium to get them growing both foliar and root wise for a couple of months before submersing them in the main aquarium. I've had 99% success rate doing this with only 'Crypt Albida Red' letting me down (on more than one occasion).
I know plenty of people regularly get away with it but for me (possibly because of water parameters) it's the only surefire way to practically guarantee success.
Just to iterate I'm talking Invitro.
Cheers!

Hi @Miniandy, Please post a couple of pictures and some additional information - see link below:

Cheers,
Michael
I totally forgot, will get a pic or two next week when I'm back home

Thanks for the suggestion, I had been thinking about setting up a buce box as previously described on the forum. But now I've had this experience and from your recommendation I will definitely set one up. Thanks

Thanks for your replies. Most of the buce melted away, but a few rhizome's did survive and are sprouting new leaves. Lesson learnt.

Slightly frustrating as this was only supposed to be plant holding area for the time being.

20230506_153946.jpg 20230506_153956.jpg 20230506_154018.jpg

new tank=unstable tank parameters=unhappy Buces.

Back