• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Epiphytic Fern

Love treeferns:thumbup::thumbup:
Like the vivarium too:thumbup:
Ed, the vivarium is really an experiment, I had read many post about using moss picked from the garden & used in a tropical vivarium.
I set up the tank approximately 14 months ago, it contains lots of moss & liverworts that I have collected from around my area.
So far they have all thrived & some have to be cut back weekly.
In many instances I have local moss mixed in with Java & Christmas moss, all intermingled & seemingly happy!
From what I have read, this might not last much longer as some folk say temperate moss needs a winter rest period?
However other folk say it could last much longer, I thought the best way to find out was by this experiment.
Any which way, I have (only yesterday) started to build a new vivarium that will be 80 x 80 x100cm. I hope to use local moss it that one too.
I plan to use two large branches that I will shape and hollow out but, I will start a new thread about that when the time comes....

temperate moss needs a winter rest period?

Funny, i wonder what makes them says that. i got a lot of moss in my damp north oriented garden, moss that grows there dries out, declines and rests in the warm bright and dry summers and it commes back to live and thrives in the cold wet darker days of the fall.

In september this year, this piece of wood maybe had 10% of moss compaired to what it has now and it was rather strugling. Today in december and it still growing like mad. :) In my experience temperate moss doesn't like it warm and hates bright light, that's why i'm always strugling to make it grow fast indoors. I guess it's more spieces depended how it handles invironmental parameters.
DSCF9746.jpg

I'm preparing this piece of wood outdoor for an indoor project.. :) And afraid it will fail again when i take it indoors..

A5CB6E99-1CB9-465F-AAC1-9E7C844DDED2.jpeg
Exactly my point, some say yes some say no, so it must be species dependant.
I keep my viv at around 21c but it rise to around 23c just before lights off.
I use two 70w metal halides and 50w of LED.
Here is some mixed tropical and guernsey garden moss...

Not sure it's temperature and light, could it be humidity?
Both kinda go hand in hand whit humidity, certainly plays a role. Artificial light usualy radiates warmth creating drought..But if i take patches of healthy growing moss indoors put it in a constant humid spot it stil doesn't grow as fast as it does outdoors. I can only guess why.

I have a Terrerium shop very close to home, 5 minutes on the bicycle.
https://www.dutchrana.nl/en/
He has a nice greenhouse growing Orhids, ferns etc etc. With it on the plants media usualy wood and sphagnum it grows the most beautifull mosses, some stunning wana haves i've never seen before. To get them i would need to buy the complete plant, that's what still is holding me back, buying a € 20 plant only for the moss growing with it. Yet i do not have the paludarium i which for. Still a work in progress on paper..

But i asked the guy, why he doesn't nurse mosses, there definitively must be a market for it.. And he said yes indeed, but many tried and non realy succeeded. Nursing moss commercialy is most difficult.. It thrives and all of a sudden for yet unknown reason about all dies. Nobody yet did find the mystery about it, that's what makes live mosses so rare in the trade. He says you just have to take them for granted, they come and go as they please. What you see is what you get, if you get a beautifull one your just lucky. :)

Well Guernsey is tropical isn't it:D
GEt some small leafed Ficus covering the sides: Ficus pumila var. Minuta
I have a vision of a completely covered background walls with a epiphytic covered branch in the centre of my new viv .
I would prefer a complete moss wall. It would seem the liquidised moss & yogurt applied over capillary cloth is method to achieve this.
I was really hoping to use local moss for this purpose mainly due to the quantities involved.
Like I say, I have had my garden moss growing for 13-14 months now but I would hate to see a complete die off in my new build.

I am thinking about something like this, still lots of space around the branch but with moss walls.

View attachment 111616
That's realy beuatiful, i saw a concept like that before.. And immediately thought of a combination.. 2 small cubes placed llike this and saw a piece of driftwood into 3 pieces.. With a Wabi Kusa in the middle connecting both tanks.. :woot:
Naamloos.jpg

While back i asked here on the forum about ideas about glueing wood permanently to glass submersed. I forgot who it was, but the strong magnets idea was the best i got. Still in te penn this idea.. Maybe one day.. Or maybe now i fully shared my brain fart somebody beats me to it.. But i think as show piece this will completely rock the boat, never seen it before. If realy nicely done, maybe a contest winner.. Perfectly sawing a piece of DW like this might be a challange, but can be done.. :)

That's realy beuatiful, i saw a concept like that before.. And immediately thought of a combination.. 2 small cubes placed llike this and saw a piece of driftwood into 3 pieces.. With a Wabi Kusa in the middle connecting both tanks.. :woot:
View attachment 111618
While back i asked here on the forum about ideas about glueing wood permanently to glass submersed. I forgot who it was, but the strong magnets idea was the best i got. Still in te penn this idea.. Maybe one day.. Or maybe now i fully shared my brain fart somebody beats me to it.. But i think as show piece this will completely rock the boat, never seen it before. If realy nicely done, maybe a contest winner.. Perfectly sawing a piece of DW like this might be a challange, but can be done.. :)
Was that The Aqueous Art Movement? https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/the-aqueous-art-movement-at-art-gallery.13526/page-5

upload_2017-12-6_19-15-32.png

Back