• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Embarrassing noob question? Getting some proper lighting sorted

corydorasaurus

Seedling
Hey folks,

I've been googling around and don't seem to be any further forward - I'm trying to make my tank a bit higher-tech, bit by bit, and have got to a bit of a block re: lighting. So I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere a thousand times!

I currently have a Juwel monolux hood on my 70l tank (one 15W T8 bulb) and I'm thinking that's not really going to cut it, lighting-wise. Is it possible to just get extra light tubes, screw clips into the hood, and clip them in like that? If so, do I need to look for something specific to go on the ends of the tubes so I can, y'know, plug them in? Or should I be looking at something more like a juwel high-lite t5 unit? (as an example) Ideally I'd like to avoid spending £££ (at least for the moment), and the hood does need to stay - much as I love open-top tanks and suspended lighting, that would be my cat's idea of a fabulous party. Something that's safe but relatively stopgap would be alright with me. Not afraid to get a little bit hacky. Also, would reflectors help?

I'm doing EI ferts and liquid carbon (a proper carbon injection system is on my wishlist) and really I'd just like to give my plants a proper boost. There's nothing too fussy in there, but I know the plants could all be happier.

Thanks!

How about <The Arcadia Stretch LED Lights> I believe they attach to old T8 fitting replacing the T8 tubes. @Andrew Butler has one for sale still I think in the for sale section although you may need to get your post count up before you can visit there. Think it was a 600mm version.

stretch-led-juwel.jpg

I'd looked at those before when I'd thought about doing open-top - didn't realise they fitted onto the T8 fittings, that's rather good. His would be too big for my tank but I'll have a look around and see what I come up with. Thank you!

-edit: I really like the look of these. Would 15W be enough?

Last edited:
I think as far as brightness goes they would be a step up from a T8 tube and maybe getting towards a T5, I think anyway. I think Maidenhead Aquatics also do retro fit led lamps that fit in old T8 fixtures. Also grobeams can be attached to the lid with a kit which are far brighter.

I decided to go for the 500-650mm, which is 18w, as there's a nice bit of gap either side of the lid and I'm hoping it'll be ok to just sit on the edge of the glass. Looked nice and easy. Decided in the end that was better than getting a smaller one and fitting it into the T8 fittings - we'll see whether that was a good idea or not... Thanks for the help, feeling a lot more confident about it now!

. I find it's always best to get a bright dimmable led from the start or you'll end up buying another light later as you gain more experience.

. I find it's always best to get a bright dimmable led from the start or you'll end up buying another light later as you gain more experience.
yeah I always go for bigger/more/whatever than I need, because I know I'll be buying it anyway. Pleased with the price, too, especially for something I can just stick on the tank and go.

Back