• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eleocharis sp mini tissue culture

greenmac75

Hi folks needing some advice for my Eleocharis sp mini tissue culture, it has been in for 2 weeks and starting to throw out runners.

My question is when should I start trimming and how much leaf tip should I cut?

Any advice would be great, cheers Stephen

Mate, whatever you're doing, just keep on doing it. I've had that plant in my tank for 2 months and it looks like it hasn't moved a muscle. Worry about it when it stops growing.

There's no need to cut Eleoch. 'mini', if this is only to encourage growth and thickness of carpet. Cutting will not make it grow faster and the thickness of carpet will be achieved by more and more runners.
If anything, you will more likely loose some growth, by trimming down, due to loss of plant-mass => less energy to do runners.

The reason mine isn't growing is probably because I trimmed it. Still alive and green though.

I used to trim my Eleocharis acicularis heavily to the ground but now I just cut it to the height I like little by little. It gives the layout a more natural look. I only trim heavily locally if I have some algae or when I get too nervous with Riccia leaves growing between them (grrrrrrr.... Riccia that was once in the tank nearly two years ago!!!!)

Jordi

I had riccia a few years ago still find bits of it in my betta tank.

Haha, i loved my Riccia pearling so beautifully but i'll never take moss and riccia again because of it ruining my HC carpet. Every week i had pull that "weed" out of there.

I have Eleocharis sp. Mini in my whole 60p tank. It really starts to grow now with runners and height. I pruned it out of the box and planted it. I think i will keep it short till a carpet is formed.

Tomorrow my new setup will be cycling for a week. All water values are perfect except NO3. I think bacteria and plants wil start to reduce that level soon.
Gotta love this hobby!

Keep watching those runners closely, it might end up in other carpets too, as it does for me i find it in the Monte carlo growing next to it. I have no experience with using deviders in the substrate, but i guess it can prevent some runners going into the wrong direction. Next time i set sometging up with different carpets with Eleocharis i definitively going to try some substrate deviders to see how that works out. I also experienced eleocharis growing so dense it was smothering itself i becoming a dirt collector. So dense and growing into eachother it was difficult to trim it because every leaf lay intangled growing horizontaly, older leaves dying of went yellow and started melting and catch algae. After a year i realy had to thin it out and then when i started pulling, rather a lot came out at once. Anyway 2 x quadrupled the amount of eleocharis i initialy planted.

A runner very inocently starts like this and can also grow where you don't like to have it. :)
Eleoch.jpg

But in the end this same runner will turn into this. Every single leaf becomes a complete dense plant still attached to eachother by the runner root. Several young runners like the above can grow very close together and then it will become very dense. If it becomes to dense and you need to start pulling.. It's fun and scary at the same time.
eleoch2.jpg

Keep watching those runners closely, it might end up in other carpets too, as it does for me i find it in the Monte carlo growing next to it. I have no experience with using deviders in the substrate, but i guess it can prevent some runners going into the wrong direction. Next time i set sometging up with different carpets with Eleocharis i definitively going to try some substrate deviders to see how that works out. I also experienced eleocharis growing so dense it was smothering itself i becoming a dirt collector. So dense and growing into eachother it was difficult to trim it because every leaf lay intangled growing horizontaly, older leaves dying of went yellow and started melting and catch algae. After a year i realy had to thin it out and then when i started pulling, rather a lot came out at once. Anyway 2 x quadrupled the amount of eleocharis i initialy planted.

A runner very inocently starts like this and can also grow where you don't like to have it. :)
View attachment 86656

But in the end this same runner will turn into this. Every single leaf becomes a complete dense plant still attached to eachother by the runner root. Several young runners like the above can grow very close together and then it will become very dense. If it becomes to dense and you need to start pulling.. It's fun and scary at the same time.
View attachment 86657

Thnx for your reply.

Runners is what i want, its my only plant and my goal is to make field. Something like this;

Ok.. :thumbup: Good luck..I did mis read and thought you combined it with HC..

Back