• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

EI, lights and CO2 changes

Jaap

Hello,

I am trying to understand how I can control some factors affecting the growth of plants in my tank and the restriction of algae.

So I use a light source which might be high light or medium light but lets say I don't know yet, pressurized CO2 which I still don't know if I am pumping enough, and the EI suggested dosing which might be the only thing I am doing correctly.

So I see that there is plants growth but also algae growth. I increase the CO2 slightly, decrease light intensity (by switching a tube off or by decreasing on time or by increasing light height) and also decrease the EI dosing by a little.

Now I see the algae is not growing so much but also my plants aren't growing as fast as they used to. How do I go about it? Do I increase the EI dosing or do I increase the light intensity?

I am trying to figure out how I go about changes in a tank to bring it to a balance so as to get good growth and as little algae as possible. Whats are the parameters I should go about changing each time?

Thanks

The thing is not to worry that your plants are not growing so fast. As long as they are growing, why the need for rapid growth. As you say, the process is to get the CO2 right for the level of light you are using. Light is the driving force. The accelerator pedal on the car if you like. CO2 and Ferts are the fuel. You got ferts covered (hopefully) as we add these in abundance and rid the tank of excess frequently by large water changes. CO2 you increase until its right for your tank. Don't worry if you read that one person uses NN bubble counts and another uses NN+5. Its what works in your own tank as you will have different plants, and just about every other parameter will be different too. THIS is what I am currently learning. It is understanding the balance that makes the difference to your success.

Once you got the CO2 right in tandem with your light, then if you want, you can increase the light. Doing this will increase "fuel" requirement, so you need to up the ferts and CO2 accordingly.

Having said that, we read that some UKAPS members have a lot of growth with lower light, as long as they get the CO2 right. Again, this is subjective to some extent. I am beginning to consider the hypothesis that you can use lower light for longer to get increased growth. But I don't know if that would be true (maybe someone who knows the answer can add to this ?). There must be a minimum level required to get noticable growth. And I know there is a maximum intensity that plants will stand. So as long as you are within that, then a longer photoperiod, to my mind, means more growth (coupled again with the need for more "fuel").

Hope this helps. Its just my take on things so any of you experienced guys on here, please clarify if I have cocked this up hehe.

keep dosing ei at your normal rate Dont lower it even when you drop your lighting. How long is your photoperiod? Do you have a drop checker? Which algae do you have?

Back