• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ei dosing

fonzo

Seedling
hello I got my ei dosing kit today and been told that the mix that comes with it will be to week so can anyone let me know of a mix I could use? for a 500l tank please as thought this stuff was spose to be easy or simple to a point and so far no luck

thanks for the welcome and ok will try the mix. just been haven some problems as I have smaller tanks that I have found simple but now I have a 500l setup and finding hard with carpets. flow is now good and sorting co2, ive been told to have a drop checker at the bottom then it was said to get the co2 to drop the ph by one when on so like all theres never the same answers twice. what would you lot say?

tank info:

4foot x 2 x 2
jbl 1901 external

2x drop checker one at top and one near substrate
co2 and deffuser
2x 54w special plant t5
2x 54w amazon day t5

any view to help with carpets like hc cuba or monte carlo please?

CO2 pH is a great tool I use it a lot more than the drop checker to fine tune the CO2 but what you need to remember is that you are measuring the surface of the water. If the CO2 isn't being pushed to the bottom of the tank your carpet plants don't have access to it. So drop checker is useful to find dead stops for CO2

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I have a wave maker and like said the drop checkers. now both checkers read green but my ph drops by about 0.6 so trying to get the drop by 1. o and also dropped the lighting for 5hrs at the moment

Let's see some pictures :)

Monte Carlo is supposed to be the easier one to do. You maybe have too much light going on for that tank.

Sounds like my tank is similar size to yours, I'm running 3x 54w now. No issues as yet since stepping up from 2x 54 before.

I cant upload pics as good phone broke so waiting for repair. don't they need good light? the last try didn't work so got the flow going and picking up some hc cuba in the morning so hoping with new ferts (ei) and flow maybe will work this time

Lots of guides on here and elsewhere by those more knowledgeable than myself. But in essence everything in moderation and balance. Too much light causes algae and melts plants. You want enough CO2 for the plants, but not too much to gas the fish etc etc.

theres no fish yet just the plants always take time am make sure all is right before that just taking abit more time. the light where going to be on longer that's why I went down to 5hrs and hoping that will get the ph down by one in the next day

theres no fish yet just the plants always take time am make sure all is right before that just taking abit more time. the light where going to be on longer that's why I went down to 5hrs and hoping that will get the ph down by one in the next day
I use to think like you based on the information provided on the plant sellers website about light requirement. Then I found this forum and realised plants don't need that much light, there is a minimum amount of light they need but that is quite low. The requirements of high light tend to come if you want really fast grow and to achieve red coloration for example. HC is actually a lot harder than MC so if MC the former will do even worst. Remember drop checker is just a very rough guide and that green represents a range of CO2 not an ideal target. You actually want it to be almost yellow by the time lights come on.

thanks for that bacams, so do you think that 2x 54w t5 or three of them will be better than4 or will it be ok aslong as i add extra co2? i keep hc cuba easy in smaller tanks just finding it abit harder in this size tank

thanks for that bacams, so do you think that 2x 54w t5 or three of them will be better than4 or will it be ok aslong as i add extra co2? i keep hc cuba easy in smaller tanks just finding it abit harder in this size tank
To start with yes for sure. I would probably start with just two. Plants need to adjust from emersed to submerged so for the first month or so aren't very effective at extracting CO2 from the water. So lower light and up CO2 I'd you have no fauna is the recommended solutions. Then up the light slowly overtime. Remember the more light you have the faster pants grow but so does damage and algae occur if this go wrong. People often say it is liking a formula 1 car if you are at driving you can go really fast but if you try to go at that speed on your first lap you will probably end up against the wall.

ok thanks where the best place for advice other than fourms?

Back