• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

EI Dosing with mid week water change

youmustcomply

I'm currently using EI to dose my tank, however I have just realised I could of been under dosing as my tank is 50 US Gallons (200 litres) rather than the 40USG I thought it was.

So I have increased my quantities 2.5x of that from the recommended 20USG so i I will be using:

3 doses of NPK per week
About 5.5tsp KNO3
About 2tsp KH2PO4
15tsp MgSO4
Now this mixture must serve 12 doses so each dose is 600ml/12 = 50ml

CSM+B 1.25tsp to 200 ml of water and dose 25 ml two times per week.

So
Sunday: 50% water change and NPK
Monday: CSM+B
Tue: NPK
Wed: CSM+B Then 30% water change
Thur: NPK
Fri: Rest
Sat: Rest

My question is, because I'm doing a mid week 30% water change (I have discus) should I dose on the rest days?
I'm not sure what's best.

Hi,
Actually there is not much difference between a 50G and a 40G in terms of dosing. Also remember that the reality check is in the tank itself. It's easy to suspect that one is underdosing, but if there is decent plant growth, no deficiency syndrome and no algae then the suspicion is not valid. Conversely, some people may feel that they are dosing enough, but yet their tank may show deficiency symptoms, which of course, invalidates that feeling. Always let the tank be your guide and try to avoid getting hypnotized by numbers and schedules. EI is neither dogma nor magic. It's an idea, a world view.

This means that we have to think rationally about the extra water change. If you want to keep to the dosing schedule then all you have to do is dose a little extra NPK immediately after the water change. You could also dose on one of the rest days as well. Any of these can work. You may also find that you don't have to make any adjustment at all because there may be sufficient residual nutrient levels to tide the plants over. Just see what works and what is easiest for you.

Cheers,

Thanks Clive, I will watch the tank. I have just rescaped so I will give it a few weeks to settle.

Back