• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim Skim 350 Modifications review

Indeed I have the Venturi installed but it is optional.

I run mine with filter floss in (and the sponge on top). I clean it weekly (and normally replace the floss every other week).

I was regularly getting shrimp in there before I added the sponge but I haven't found a single one in there since. Not sure if the sponge gives them something to cling onto so they can save up their energy and escape it whether it is just luck but the fact I have had zero shrimp in several months suggests it works
063efdf3c4ee18b414ffd67859630dcc.jpg
Hi @jameson_uk

Many thanks for your reply and photo.

JPC

I use this insert for the eheim skimmer: EHEIM SKIM 350 Float Insert. It works fine this far. But I only run it half an hour in the morning and half an hour at night, which is enough to keep the surface clean. Havent had any shrimp inside of it yet (taiwan bees and cherry shrimp). Havent had any fish in it either, but my smallest fish are ember tetra so not the tiniest of all :)

Hi Folks,

There are various threads here on UKAPS showing what people have done to fix this design flaw. Here is what I did with mine:

Do Healthy Plants Release Organics?

I should point out that my 'fix' probably would not be effective with tiny shrimplets. My objective was to keep my fish safe.

But, I still don't like the Eheim skim350.

JPC

Last edited:
My SunSun skimmer arrived yesterday and I am very pleased.
Unmodified it takes it all of 4-5 seconds to completely clear ALL the surface scum. And I had a lot.
After gleefully watching it scarf down the scum, I set into action to make it safe for Boraras / tiny fish.

It definitely does the best job when its completely unmodified, so if I didnt have such small fish I would leave it as it is, and set it on a timer, so that shrimp may escape periodically.

Right now its running with a piece of black coarse sponge in the top, I think its 10 PPI.
Effectiveness was increased when I removed the core of the sponge and left only the square circumference.

I tried @Wookii 's mesh modification too, how do you get your mesh to stay close to the walls of the skimmer head? Mine wanted to bend in a bit, but maybe its a softer material than yours.

All in all so far really happy with the purchase. Im considering getting a second one just to have at hand. But will give it a bit of time to see how it performs over time first. Can recommend :thumbup:

I tried @Wookii 's mesh modification too, how do you get your mesh to stay close to the walls of the skimmer head? Mine wanted to bend in a bit, but maybe its a softer material than yours.

I cut the mesh into four separate pieces, and superglued them in place. It's a bit fiddly - I used a couple of cocktail sticks, one to apply the glue to various points on the inside of the skimmer head, and the second to press/hold the mesh down until the glue had started to bond onto it, then dipping it under the tap to help it set quicker.

This Eheim skim350 has been giving me headaches for the past 3 weeks. I used to have it for over a year on the left front side of my tank and NEVER did I have any shrimps or fish caught. Now I moved it to the right back corner for several reason and now shrimps are being caught regularly. I also lost 2 ottos. I have tried different sorts of mods but really not satisfied with how the skimmer behaves. The one that works the best so far is this one but the floater sometimes jumps around.
IMG_5374.jpg
IMG_5371 copy.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve had a variety of different skimmers over the years and I haven’t found anything that works particularly well long term. I’ve also seen a display tank that had a weir at one end and that still had surface film!

Think one of the problems is although adjustable it's just too powerful for the purpose it was designed for!
You could always put it on a timer.....but you could still have casualties!
Or try packing filter wool in the chamber.
hoggie

Hi Folks,

I'm still reasonably happy with the mod I did to my skim350 as shown here:

The 'strainer' needs to be very lightweight in order not to interfere with the buoyancy of the floating section. I made it from what I recall was a sink plug-hole strainer.

JPC

This Eheim skim350 has been giving me headaches for the past 3 weeks. I used to have it for over a year on the left front side of my tank and NEVER did I have any shrimps or fish caught. Now I moved it to the right back corner for several reason and now shrimps are being caught regularly. I also lost 2 ottos. I have tried different sorts of mods but really not satisfied with how the skimmer behaves. The one that works the best so far is this one but the floater sometimes jumps around.
Why don't you try the eheim insert made by eheim themselves? I've had 0 issues since day 1 using it.

Think one of the problems is although adjustable it's just too powerful for the purpose it was designed for!
You could always put it on a timer.....but you could still have casualties!
Or try packing filter wool in the chamber.
hoggie
Actually it's been on timer since day one. Shrimps are able to get out but if a fish gets caught he wont be able to get out. In fact I have had 2 Ottos and 2 Rasboras caught in there.

There is no perfect solution for this skimmer.

Hi Folks,

I'm still reasonably happy with the mod I did to my skim350 as shown here:

The 'strainer' needs to be very lightweight in order not to interfere with the buoyancy of the floating section. I made it from what I recall was a sink plug-hole strainer.

JPC

Aren't those holes big enough for shrimps to get through?

Why don't you try the eheim insert made by eheim themselves? I've had 0 issues since day 1 using it.
In fact I have been trying to source it and wasn't able to find untill I saw your link above. First time I saw it was on a video from a Spanish guy. I think Eheim for some reason is not producing it anymore. It's not even listed on Eheim's website. This said I am pretty sure shrimps can get through that. If you look at my mod above I also had one where the mesh was flush with the floater basically simulating Eheim's insert. That did not prevent shrimps from getting it. In fact one of the Ottos did manage to go in :oops:

IMG_5375.jpg
IMG_5376.jpg

In fact I have been trying to source it and wasn't able to find untill I saw your link above. First time I saw it was on a video from a Spanish guy. I think Eheim for some reason is not producing it anymore. It's not even listed on Eheim's website. This said I am pretty sure shrimps can get through that. If you look at my mod above I also had one where the mesh was flush with the floater basically simulating Eheim's insert. That did not prevent shrimps from getting it. In fact one of the Ottos did manage to go in :oops:
Its quite possible they discontinued it... shame though, it works excellently (at least for me). Tank has both otto's, cherry and taiwan bee shrimp, this far I've had 0 instances of them getting in the skimmer (3 months or so now). The insert is slightly higher then the original skimmer. I'm sure smaller shrimplets could still pass through tough, but those would just end up inside on the foam untill its turned off again.

This is mine which i've been running for a while, works a treat (have tried a couple of other variants and had the same issues as other but this works well) Occasionally get the odd shrimp stuck on it but if you run it on a timer so it goes off for 15min every hour that should let them get off it

Aren't those holes big enough for shrimps to get through?
Hi @Hanuman

The open radius of each quadrant is 4.5mm. So, yes, it may not be shrimplet-proof. A layer of fine gauze sitting on top would possibly do the job. You would probably need some dabs of suitable adhesive to hold it in place. If you're interested, just PM me your address and I'll pop one in the post to you - free of charge, of course*.

* I've just noticed that you're in Thailand so that could be a problem!

JPC

Hi all,
Does anyone run the aps skimmer in a tank with a lid?
I’m interested in one of these to replace my eheim 350 for a number of reasons but I have a lid on my EA freshwater tank. Looking at some of the images of the skimmer online it has a long rod attached to the front of it that’s a lot higher than the skimmer itself

Cheers

it has a long rod attached to the front of it that’s a lot higher than the skimmer itself
Nah thats just a bit of stiff airtube for the diffusor bit, you can take that entire part off. No problem to use with a lid.
This skimmer is way better than the Eheim. I use mine with a piece of sponge in the top. It hasnt eaten any fish and still works decently unlike the Eheim

Back