• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim Skim 350 + initial report

DTL

Just received and installed an Eheim Skim 350 a couple of days ago, so thought I'd share my initial thoughts.

Unit is around 6" tall so not invisible, although I have just trimmed all my plants so I'm sure in a couple of weeks it will be hidden from view.

As I said, I'd just done a major trim, and the unit has done a great job in clearing the surface of any scum or debris that was left after the maintenance.
Additionally, any small residual pieces of plant / root that have floated to the surface since are pulled to the location of the skimmer even if they are too big to actually be collect inside, making it easy to capture and remove them with tweezers.

I'll see how this continues to perform, but so far I'd say I'm happy with this unit.

Couple of pics below.

dsc00510om.jpg
dsc00513so.jpg

The floating top part has too wide cuttings, so fishes shrimps can be trapped easily. Just a quick note to check it sometimes. Otherwise a good unit
The flow is adjustable so that you run the unit without pulling air, the top is 2 - 3 mm below the water surface if adjusted correctly.
It's a slow but steady intake, I'd say there's much more pull from an external power filter intake.
But yes, I'd agree it would be worth checking regularly to be safe

Hi, nice review. I was hoping someone might have one so we could see what they are like. What kind of flow are these rated at? Cheers

This looks a good neat bit of kit, is the skimmer self adjusting to the water height? Also where did you get it from if you don't mind me asking.... A link would be great :thumbup:

This looks a good neat bit of kit, is the skimmer self adjusting to the water height? Also where did you get it from if you don't mind me asking.... A link would be great :thumbup:
Yes, the top part floats and has a range of 3 cm, so even if you don't have auto top off, you've got about an inch to play with.

Got it from Aquacadabra, for some reason you can only see it on their EBay portal.
If you Google eheim skim 350 aquacadabra, it will pop up

Got it from Aquacadabra, for some reason you can only see it on their EBay portal.
If you Google eheim skim 350 aquacadabra, it will pop up

cheers for that will take a look :thumbup:

Update
One week on and opened up the Skim 350 for a spot of maintenance after running it 24/7.
Was surprised at the amount of stuff it had collected, probably a 5 mm mat of black gunge and plant fragments.
Gave it a quick rinse in old tank water, and back in - easy to clean.
Top of the tank is totally free of scum - definitely like this piece of kit.:thumbup:

Does anyone know where to get the suction cups for these devices? Mine keep coming unstuck from the glass! Cheers

Does anyone know where to get the suction cups for these devices? Mine keep coming unstuck from the glass! Cheers
Try dropping them in a mug of boiling water I find this usually sorts them out.

Back