• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

EHEIM professionel 3 250T or 350T?

You can try and see how you get on, I think you will find that at the bare minimum you need to add a powerhead due to the length of the tank, but its probably best to get the cheaper filter and invest in one or two powerheads than try to wedge a huge filter in there at great expense. It's either going to be two smaller filters or one filter and some powerheads I suspect.

Hopefully someone with first hand experience will chip in with some advice, but I have seen people set this sort of system up with the lily pipes at opposite ends and opposite corners, so diagonally across from each other, so that helps to create a circular flow around the tank. I'm really not sure the best way to do it though.

Hi again,
Ok, now I'm thinking of getting one Eheim 350T and one 350. If I place the the two inflow lily pipes on one end of the tank, and the outflow lily pipes on the other, would that be the smartest way to do it?
Thanks
ulla

Set up the bare tank with the filters in arrangement 1: add a drop of food coloring (or whatever colored solution you have, bromophenol blue or whichever aquarium medication works fine if you want to stay with trade products BUT be wary of silicon staining depending on how your tank is constructed) & watch the dispersement.
Then try other filter arrangements :) (there's nothing quite like doing to really understand a process)

You can also use fine particles to visualize flow (if you're concerned about silicon staining), here you'll have some contribution from mass & shape, but it will still visualize what the various intake/outtake positions will do in your tank.

Then if you have your hardscape, you can add it in & repeat the process, working forward from your best configurations chosen above, and so on ...

(If you invest in a Twinstar, you can see where the tiny bubbles go :joyful: ... I did, it seems to suit my lackadaisical approach to aquarium management - erratic lighting, erratic CO2, not so great flow, erratic water changes, fish in way too soon as I had an opportunity to pick up some fish I'd been wanting for years ... )

Hi there, I think that the general consensus of advice on planted tanks,is to get as much filter flow as your budget can afford (within reason) or in your case, that you can fit in your cabinet. The more flow you have = better nutrient and c02 distribution to the plants from what I read (this is my first time) as well as better cleaning of your water. My tank is approx 200 litres, and I have a fluval g6, and have just bought a second to work in conjunction. This filter claims a pump output of 2460l/h giving an actual flow of 1000 litres/h. Will be testing this shortly too. This would seem a bit overkill, and is more than twice the 10 x rule for my tanks volume, but if the current is too strong, you can control this with your inflow pipes, Eg bigger spray bar holes etc, whilst still maintaining a high rate of water turnover.Don't think you can go wrong with getting the biggest you can afford and fit in your cabinet.

Hi check out eden filters, I started a thread on them last week. I actually got to grope one in a shop yesterday. Not that bad for the money small too.

Back