• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim 2260 Media Help

A couple of people have mentioned only part filling the external filter to improve water flow.

I just wondered if this would cause a problem with the water flow inside the filter? I mean, if the canister is only half filled then could the water entering the bottom, and being pushed up, dislodge or push around the layers instead of going through them?

Here is a quick image to try and explain what I mean.
waterflow.png

What is the best way for filling these? Any tips?

Hope this makes sense.

bypass is sometimes an issue with cheap filters. Not heard it about eheim though. Even with partial media. Possible though.

Does this 2260 have media trays or do you just chuck it all in on top of itself ? Im not that familiar with it but all the Eheims I have owned have had media trays. If it does have them then its no issue at all. Most of my trays are only half full.

Hi,

It's essentially an empty 18ltr bin with no trays or compartments.

They provide a little plastic stand with 4 legs that everything sits on but I think that's it.

See this thread where the guy fills to the top : http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... ost2460726

My query is if I fill like he has, but only half way, then could the flow of the pump mess up the items in the canister?

Possibly, is the answer to that. However, see that green stuff he has used ? You could top off the top half with that and it would keep it in place. OR you could cut a piece of foam (like I suggested earlier :lol: ) that is very tight fit, as your top layer. It wouldnt need to be fine foam, it could be coarse. But that ought to hold everything in place. Its more a case of density rather than volume in terms of allowing/restricting flow :thumbup:

Back