• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim 2213, questions

peter1979

I just received my 2213, after deciding that my hob filter was not right for me.
Does anyone else have one, or anything similar? It comes with filter media, but the amount it comes with seems quite small compared to the canister size. It is about 1/5th full with 3 different pads. One white (fine), blue (coarse) and black (carbon). My question is, should i have more than this? or should i get more? The pics online show different sorts of media in it, and the cannister is full.

Also, as i am using this on a 30cm nano for now, should i cut down the inlet pipe and spray bar to fit my tank, or invest in a set of lily pipes?

Peter

Hi Peter. Yes, you'll need some sort of biomedia, such as Eheim Efisubstrate or Sera Siporax. Did you buy it new? I seem to remember they're sold with or without media (at different prices).

I use one on my 20 litre nano. I'm finding a little underpowered, but I have it hooked up to an external heater and have had to use some imaginative plumbing to get it all to fit into my cabinet:

Cabinet.jpg

Works fine with Cal-Aqua glassware :)

Fossil_Gumi_Day009_Front.jpg

You can cut down the spraybars etc, shouldn't be an issue but bare in mind it will increase the back pressure and make the flow stronger, as the filter is trying to pump the same amount of water through less holes in the spray bar. You can adjust this by making the holes a little bigger, but be careful as you can't add plastic back on! I've cut them down before though :)

Thanks for the reply steve. I bought it new, yes. The product says it is supplied with media, but as i explained above, this is a very small amount (compared to the canister size, just 3 foam pads. The pic shows 2 different set ups, one with just the 3 pads, and another with what i guess is this bio-media you mentioned. I will check it out and probably go with the lily pipes like you have done.
Im suprised you say that it is a little underpowered on a 20 litre! i was under the impression that i would be overdoing it a little with this filter, as with a 400 odd litre-per hour turnover this is easily over the recommended 10x amount.

just another question please steve, where did you get your quick release taps from? i cant seem to find them sold separately anywhere.

They'd supposed to come with them, mine did, and proper media. :S

I think that's if you buy the more costly version. They sell the classic range in a sort of barebones state too.

I bought the filter second hand, so it came with them. The eheim branded ones are quite expensive, about £12 for one set or there abouts. You can get non-branded ones such as these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Double-Tap-12-16m ... 19ba515939

Still quite expensive, but I'm sure I've seen the no-name ones cheaper on ebay. Worth hunting about, as I've only done a quick 20 second search :)

I have a set of them knocking around that I'll never use. I'll pm you if they're the right size.

I think the filter is done in a 'classic' and 'classic plus' version, something i didnt quite research enough before i went ahead and bought it. Also i now realise that the spray bar that comes with it is way too intrusive in such a small tank like my 30cm cube. Looks like i have to invest in filter media, double taps and lily pipes.

Thanks for the offer Garuf.

Back