• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Echinodorus Rose

roadmaster

Should preface by saying my tanks are all low tech and I usually plant plant's and then leave em alone to do what they do.
Recently (couple month's back) placed a Echinodorus Rose in my 80 U.S. gal tank and it has sent out a long stem if you will, nearly a foot above the tank and light's which rest on the tank.
I am wondering if this could be using a lot of nutrtient's that would otherwise benefit the leaves still below the surface of the water?
It did same thing a couple week's ago and I cut the long stem at the base of the plant and another has now shot up in it's place.
If there is no harm/foul I will prolly just leave it, but could not help but wonder if it is taking away from submerged leaves
I dose modified EI for NON CO2 and the plant is doing well along with other's,just wondering

Any chance of a picture?

Sorry, no photo. Maybe so in a couple more month's.
Still expierimenting with a couple species that are only doing fair Rotala Macranda ,Ammannia Gracilis, and Ludwigia Repen's (doing good).
If they perform a bit better, and fill in places where I've placed them ,then I will take some photo's ad try and post em up.
Right now ,they are decidedly pink/orange colored after dropping more than a few leaves over the two month's I have had them in the dirt.
Just starting to look OK for low tech effort.

Your Ech. 'Rose' sounds like going into generative growth......it's producing flower-stalks, I presume.
This WILL take energy from producing new leaves, so personally I would keep dismissing them. Especially when growing plant "low energy".
- unless, ofcourse, you want the small plant-lets, that will likely appear on the stalk, alongside with white flowers......:rolleyes:

Thank you for the reply.
I wondered as much and think I shall keep removing the stalk's along with a few of the older leaves.
Appear's to be large leaf count with this hybrid compared to a couple other species I am trying (ie) Indian red,and Rubin.

Back