• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Echinodorus Bleheraw - new branch

EmannAquarium

Hi,

please refer to the attached picture.

There is a nice branch that has grown to a decent size now off my echinodorus bleherae.

How can I go about replanting it...just a matter of cutting it and plant into the substrate? which position should this be cut please to ensure it survives living on its own off the main stem.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Echinodorus Bleherae1.jpg
    Echinodorus Bleherae1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 106
I once had a young Echinodorus plantlet on a stalk at the surface growing emersed, placed it in a sucker cup i attached to the back panel glass with the roots into the water about 20 cm above the substrate. After a few weeks it grew very healthy tick roots all the way down into the substrate. By then the sucker cup became loose, i noticed because the plant was pulling itself down towards it. And it did this at an rather high pace with few cm a day. When it was half way it did cut the roots and lifted it up again. It wasn't the place i wanted it in the substrate, else i would have let it go it's own way.

I noticed more plants doing this, Nymphaea also is such a plant spp. with pulling roots. Glew a small rock to the tuber to hold it down on the substrate and when it starts growing it starts pulling and buries itself. :)

hi zozo..so u mean u left the leaves out of the water and with the roots in the water and that made the plant grow at a fast pace and more importantly healthy as well pls

hi zozo..so u mean u left the leaves out of the water and with the roots in the water and that made the plant grow at a fast pace and more importantly healthy as well pls

This is what i meant.. The mother stands left.. On the right you see 2 plantlets that grow on the flowerstalks tip. Bend these flowerstalks over till the plantbase touches the water and fix it there somehow, i used a sucker cup for that..
dscf7314-kopie-jpg.jpg

After a few weeks that same plantlet at the water surface above looked like this when i did cut it off the flower stalk to use somewhere else. The plantlet on the flowerstalk wont make roots till it touches water or substrate..
dscf7321-kopie-jpg.jpg

This is the way an Echinodorus makes runners and propagater vegitative.. The flower stalks with plantlets actualy keep on growing and growing in search for ground to root. So you can actualy make it grow from one tank to another.. :)
dscf9768-jpg.jpg

Back