• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Easylife Blue Exit

Matt Warner

Hi all, I came across this new product from Easylife called Blue Exit. It is supposed to remove blue green algae without harming anything. I was wondering if anybody has used it and what it contains to remove BGA without harming anything and if it works. Does it contain nitrate to remove it as we know low nitrate levels will bring it on.
Cheers

I've never used it. Although I really like the Easy-Life products I refuse to use such a product. Keeping healthy plants is not about killing algae but creating a good environment for your plants to grow in. In my opinion, such a product cannot produce a healthy environment.

I know that and I agree with you. I was just wondering more than anything what it contains
Cheers

GillesF said:
I've never used it. Although I really like the Easy-Life products I refuse to use such a product. Keeping healthy plants is not about killing algae but creating a good environment for your plants to grow in. In my opinion, such a product cannot produce a healthy environment.

while in principle you are right, IME once cyno is in the tank it is devestatingly hard to eradicate, battled it for months then had to resort to antibiotics.

This is the problem I have been having. I mis calculated my EI dosing and wasn't adding enough nitrate. I am now adding about 10ppm three times a week and the cyano has improved a hell of a lot but it still lingers. I dont want to do a blackout if I can help it, but then I don't want to add antibiotics and risk killing the filter bacteria or fish and shrimp. I was considering using blue exit but I'm not sure what it contains.

yep, i found that i doesnt like high flow either but it has a habit of reappearing in force after you think its under control.
I do belive that you should try everything to find the cause first but im yet to hear of a successful blackout with BGA that didnt reappear at some point. BGA seems to have the ability to sit dormant for months at a time then when it feels an opportunity it will appear like magic.
If you run out of ideas i have some enthromycin i got from the states, dosed for 4 days, has no effect on the filter or fauna and BGA hasnt ever reappeared... 6 months on now i guess.
Im happy to send you what you need as well as the dosing schedule i ran. Do remember that it is supposed to be a one shot wonder as the bacteria is rumoured to be resiliant after it has been exposed to it...???
PM me anytime if you want to go down that road.

If you need any more information about the Easylife products, do not hesitate to contact us.
Via sales [at] aquadip.com. We are the sole distributor of Easylife in the UK and will be able to answer such questions.

Thank you.

easerthegeezer said:
If you run out of ideas i have some enthromycin i got from the states, dosed for 4 days, has no effect on the filter or fauna and BGA hasnt ever reappeared... 6 months on now i guess.
Im happy to send you what you need as well as the dosing schedule i ran. Do remember that it is supposed to be a one shot wonder as the bacteria is rumoured to be resiliant after it has been exposed to it...???

Be careful talking about importing antibiotics on a public forum. It's a criminal offence. Erythromycin might be widely available in the states but it's not in the UK. Not only as you point out do you get resistance to the antibiotic but you then empty the water back into the environment which is not ideal. Erythromycin is a useful antibiotic to fight disease, don't use it to make your tank look nice (then complain when we you get a superbug in hospital). There's a reason you have algae, find it.

/ end rant

tyrophagus said:
easerthegeezer said:

Be careful talking about importing antibiotics on a public forum. It's a criminal offence. Erythromycin might be widely available in the states but it's not in the UK. Not only as you point out do you get resistance to the antibiotic but you then empty the water back into the environment which is not ideal. Erythromycin is a useful antibiotic to fight disease, don't use it to make your tank look nice (then complain when we you get a superbug in hospital). There's a reason you have algae, find it.

/ end rant

i totally agree with you in principle, sadly, when your tank has a bacterial infection such as BGA anti biotics can be the only solution apart from a tear down. Vets in this country will not prescribe without seeing the infection and UK vets dont home visit for aquariums, just another example of how animal welfare in this hobby is not promoted and treated as it should be. Sadly aquarium fish are considered expendable by too many.
Do you have some suggestions as to how to eliminate cynobacteria without antibiotics?

easerthegeezer said:
Do you have some suggestions as to how to eliminate cynobacteria without antibiotics?
up the nitrate level further. It does work. Think bigger... Try 50ppm daily.

Does that really work adding that much nitrate to get rid of it? I am worried about adding that much each day.

There's no reason to add 50ppl a day, that's just a waste of fertilizers. 30ppm per week should be sufficient (EI ratio).

Thats about what I'm dosing now whilst before I was only dosing about 3 -4ppm 3 times a week which wasn't enough. Since dosing higher I have seen a massive improvement in plant growth and algae has decreased quite a lot. I'm definitely in agreement with you about finding the reason for algae and correcting it. My nitrate was obviously bottoming out so I am adding more to fix it.

Hi

I had once an infection of BGA (not much but good enough to bother me). I followed guys here, did some pruning of infected plants, removed BGA from substrate, cleaned the filters that were clogged, improved the flow/circulation & temporarily had a water blasting the BGA sites. As an immediate measure, during the WC when water level is low, I injected H2O2 straight on the BGA, wait a few minutes, and refill the tank. The nascent Oxygen oxidises locally all the stuff (be careful that this is a local effect only). This all helped, and I didnt have to go the anti-biotic way.

I guess that since BGA uses nitrogen fixing for its energy, improving water Oxygen content helps since this hinders their growth. Adding nitrates & good flow further deteriorates their condition. Plus the O2 once formed from H2O2 also helps aerobic bacteria in the filters.

Hope this helps.

-niru

i had a little under substrate BGA a bit ago in my corner tank, it was just in one spot right in the corner and tried to up the flow in the corners, but struggled. I opted for TPN+ capsules for under the substrate, and bish bash bosh, it never appeared again.

a1Matt said:
easerthegeezer said:
up the nitrate level further. It does work. Think bigger... Try 50ppm daily.

Matty1983 said:
Does that really work adding that much nitrate to get rid of it? I am worried about adding that much each day.

Yes, it does work.

GillesF said:
There's no reason to add 50ppl a day, that's just a waste of fertilizers. 30ppm per week should be sufficient (EI ratio).

The higher levels I mentioned are temporary, until the BGA issue is resolved.
Usually just a few days dosage is needed at this level.

Thanks all for the tips and thanks a1matt. I have followed your advice and have added potassium nitrate straight into the tank along with my EI dosing and it seems like the bga is on the decline, it looks almost like it is being stretched before contracting into little balls, and all without algaecide.

Thanks for the positive feedback, I am glad to hear you are getting on top of it.

BGA can only appear in water with zero nitrates in it, so it is a safe assumption that after clearing the BGA your tank would benefit from a higher regular dosing level of nitrates than it was on previously. I'd try just slightly higher and see how things go.

Back