• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dwarf Gouarmi & Boesemani Rainbow Thoughts?

PAYN3Y

Hi guys,

So I’m getting a little bored with the fish variety in my Aquascaper 900. My current stick list is as follows:

18 Cardinals Tetra
10 Black Phantom Tetras
2 Male Golden Rams
2 Male Blue Rams
6 Ottos

I really enjoy watching the behaviour of the rams - especially the 2 larger golden rams but I feel something is missing and I want more colour and variety to the tank.

The two fish I have my eye on are dwarf gouramis or the rainbows. I’ve read a fair bit about keep male gouramis being a bad idea but seem to get mixed reviews. I’ve read that the rainbows may swim a bit fast as make the tetras and rams feel insecure and hide. Ideally I’d like 1 normal and 1 powder blue DG and around 5 rainbows. Would this be a really bad idea?

Any suggestions on what to stock? What else adds some nice variety and colour to the planted tank?

Could look at dwarf neon rainbows? Don’t get large but still would create a feature Fish shoal?
Cheers Chris

Could look at dwarf neon rainbows? Don’t get large but still would create a feature Fish shoal?
Cheers Chris

I’ll take a look at those. Thanks.

I like cories and have been considering them for the bottom although I hear they like a sand substrate and I only have soil and plants.

Ideally I’m after some colorfish fish that swim a little higher.

Personally I've not kept rainbows so can't comment.

I have kept gourami a number of times. Every time I have said to myself never again. My personal experience is that they are bullies in the aquarium.

I've had boesemanis for years now..and they have become quite tame.
They'll take flake from the hand and bloodworm straight from the end of a syringe(like feeding a baby from a bottle)
Totally non aggressive.. but are boisterous when spawning(usually first light)
Just watched mine spawn along with my cory.
Rummy nosed tetras and harlequins have had eggs for breakfast:)

Ideally I’d like 1 normal and 1 powder blue DG and around 5 rainbows.
I’d suggest rather more than 2 DG - one will end up the bully & one will end up the bullied
Instead I’d try a group of 5, make sure you have sufficient plants/decor breaking up sight lines ... of course fish are not that stupid, but most “average” bully fish will allow themselves to be distracted
Occasionally you’ll get a fish that MUST own the entire tank & will ceaselessly harrass target fish (usually same species, or similar shaped/coloured fish) - only solution is removal of this particular fish to an alternate tank/home

When selecting DG at the shop, spend a good amount of time observing fish for health/activity - then select middle ground fish (the most submissive fish may have health issues so best to avoid)

I’d add the DG first, allow 2-4 weeks to establish before adding rainbows

My opinion is that 90cm is a minimum length tank for rainbows, and choose smaller species - many of the larger rainbows are tall, thick fish as adults so look at mature photos when choosing a rainbow species
I’d do a shoal of 7-8 minimum (or more if a pseudomugil type species)

I kept a shoal of M praecox in a 90cm tank some while back, all was well until the dominant male decided to eliminate inappropriate fish from HIS territory ... I was losing a couple fish a week with no symptoms of disease etc :confused:
finally saw him body slamming a victim in the wee hours of the morning :eek:

If you notice a change in your other fish behaviour after adding the DG or rainbows, then you know something needs to change ...
I’d likely rehome the Black Phantoms before adding rainbows - they won’t stand a chance in case of adversity, & they won’t easily give ground initially ... if tank were EA1200 I might try both the phantoms & rainbows to see how they get on

I'd also suggest keeping rainbows in a ratio of 1 male to 3 females.
The males are quite persistent at spawning time.

Thanks @alto - that’s a great response.

DG behaviour sounds similar to the Rams with the dominant males. Initially I had 1 male and one female ram. The male didn’t like the female and bullied her - she died a few days later. After that I bought 3 more makes. One was from the same group as the original holder ram and 2 were German blues from a different tank. They have a little tussle ever now and then but it looks more playful than viscous. The original ram is definitely the king in there though.

Interesting what you say about the black phantoms. It was my impression that the rainbows were very peaceful fish. For what reason would they trouble the phantoms?

Do you think adding 5 DG and forgetting the rainbows may be a sensible option? Enough males to dissipate the aggression. No females to fight over and keep hold of the phantoms? Obviously looking for signs of a significant bully.

Last edited:
Rainbows are active, boisterous fish, & (as in my experience - which is not unique) they may demand tank space if other fish don’t readily give ground

Strange - lost a reply :confused:

DG are worth a go (especially if you’ve a shop that will accept returns/trades) - note the different colour forms can differ significantly in degree of “aggression” ... I’ve no idea if this is a consequence of line breeding or possibly “parent” fish used to generate the color forms

Read up on DG iridovirus so you know want to look for in shop stock & in your own tank

Just like to clarify...when I say"totally non aggressive"i mean towards each other,and small fish.
I've never mixed them with anything else in their size range.

Strange - lost a reply :confused:

DG are worth a go (especially if you’ve a shop that will accept returns/trades) - note the different colour forms can differ significantly in degree of “aggression” ... I’ve no idea if this is a consequence of line breeding or possibly “parent” fish used to generate the color forms

Read up on DG iridovirus so you know want to look for in shop stock & in your own tank

I've heard a bit about iridovirus. It seems almost too common. I've just been to a local shop to look at some DG and noticed one looking a bit worse for wear, breathing heavily at the bottom of the tank. They didn't seem like very active fish either. Seems a little risky to me as I certainly wouldn't want to infect my rams. However, they did have a tank full of female DG which were much more active. Just very bland in comparison.

They also have a tank with a mix of honey and pearl gouarmis. They were much more colourful than I imagined and seemed to be very active. There was some chasing amongst them but there didn't appear to be a leader. I wonder if I could get away with 2 of each.

:oops: Sorry for the confusion

These would be different iridovirus- which are often species (or closely related species) specific

Pearl gourami are rather more substantial fish than DGs - they look a fair size even in George Farmer’s EA 1200 so consider this aspect

Hoyney gourami are one of my favourites but only the DG crossbreds are available in local shops :(

Rainbows are active, boisterous fish, & (as in my experience - which is not unique) they may demand tank space if other fish don’t readily give ground
From what I have read and seen I wouldn't put Boesemani rainbows in a 90cm tank as I think they would be a bit restricted when fully grown. They were in my original plan and would love to keep them in the future.

I ended up with Dwarf Neon rainbows (praecox) and these were amazing fish. I found them active but not crazy like Danios and I ended up with more males than females and had no issues. They would show to each other at first light that was amazing to watch but never any real aggression. That said I lost all 10 over several months, still not sure why and will definitely try again with them in the future.

My experience of DG was a healthy looking one from LFS that lasted about six weeks. Think it had iridovirus and from what I have read (and after speaking to owner of LFS) it seems like 50% probably have it. He was a bit aggressive but I only had one (they are closely related to Betta so I guess you can just get some mental ones). I wouldn't go for a DG again.

Some people seem to get away with several female Bettas but not sure I would trust them in with other fish.

Your current stock does better in soft water but most rainbows are happiest in harder water so consider this as well. Tank bred fish are normally very adaptable however.
Pearl gourami are very gentle and graceful, they are probably the only species I would recommend to anyone as well, but I think they would outgrow the grow. I'm really not a fan of the dwarf gourami species simply because they were poor quality when I first had them a couple of decades ago and time has only weakened them.

I'd consider keeping your rams the focus of the tank and complimenting them with another tetra species like rosy tetras or even diamond tetras which look like nothing in the shop but are stunning when mature.

Your current stock does better in soft water but most rainbows are happiest in harder water so consider this as well. Tank bred fish are normally very adaptable however.
Pearl gourami are very gentle and graceful, they are probably the only species I would recommend to anyone as well, but I think they would outgrow the grow. I'm really not a fan of the dwarf gourami species simply because they were poor quality when I first had them a couple of decades ago and time has only weakened them.

I'd consider keeping your rams the focus of the tank and complimenting them with another tetra species like rosy tetras or even diamond tetras which look like nothing in the shop but are stunning when mature.

Yeah I think I've been put off the dwarfs. Can't be bothered with unnecessary health battles.

The only thing about more tetras is they seem to lack a bit of personality. I've really enjoyed watching the rams as they seem like 'thinking fish'. I only really see two at a time and it just seems like there is something missing in the tank. The tetras are great at filling the space but I would really like some more feature fish. Maybe more rams then?

Back