• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dosing Deficiency?

So where exactly is the atomiser placed, is it feeding all the gas directly into the pump?
The PH testing needs to be quite extensive, start testing just before the CO2 comes on and every hour until it goes off.
It is really worth the effort but make sure you write it all down so any changes can be compared.

Last edited:
What filter are you using to run the spraybar and how big is your tank?
From the picture it looks like you had lots of powerheads. You still use those along with the spraybar?

My filter is the API Filstar XP- M - it would be much better if I had a stronger one, but this is just what I had.

I had lots of power heads - it was the only way to get the flow directed -- I use nothing now except the spray bar and the skimmer (but the skimmer is merely because I want to use it).

65 gallon tank, 24 inches deep, 36 inches long, 18 inches width.

Josh

I have added a little Ehiem powerhead adjacent to the existing one....The leaves on the plants at the distant end are moving in the current....

upload_2020-4-30_14-15-52.png

The pen is unbranded....and came with PH6.86 and 4.0 powders. i have some JBL 4.00 and 7.00 buffer solutions from an old system - could i use them, calibrating it to 7.00 vice 6.86?

Hi @klolyn

I feared that you might say it was unbranded. But:
Use to have one of them myself :D.

And, as @Zeus says:
I would use those buffers it will be fine, as the actual reading is irrelevant IMO, its how much it changes once lights come on that counts.

Please be aware that a pH change of 1.0 is a tenfold increase in CO2 concentration. So, if this figure is, for example, 5 ppm before lights come on, it would rise to 50 ppm with a 1.0 pH change. But, if you also use a drop checker, keep an eye on this. Needless to say, your fish are likely to suffer at 50 ppm CO2!

One final thing - if the pH buffer solutions are from an old system, they may be beyond their expiry date.

JPC

@zeus I used the JBL buffers to calibrate it and got a reading of 6.85 (Co2 been injecting for approx 5hrs). Having used the dropchecker one at about 0600 (before Co2 came on) i assess it was the hue of 7.5
I will use the pen again tomorrow morning to see what it reads then...to show a pre on and just before shut off across the day using the pen......

i have added another PH. a small Ehiem unit. not having any joy loading a short video to show the resulting movement

Keith

@jaypeecee this is my main concern. Flapping too much about getting the correct co2 level may see off my fish off. i will keep an eye on the two dropcheckers.....
i will check the PH levels over tomorrows phase; using the pen and pass the numbers on here (the ppm maths does my head in when I'm looking at a mist of bubbles!!)

So where exactly is the atomiser placed, is it feeding all the gas directly into the pump?
The PH testing needs to be quite extensive, start testing just before the CO2 comes on and every hour until it goes off.
It is really worth the effort but make sure you write it all down so any changes can be compared.

The atomiser is fitted 15" from the pump outlet, not feeding into the pump but the water exiting it on route back to the tank and providing a mist - checker showing green now. I will do the PH checks hourly tomorrow.

The atomiser is fitted 15" from the pump outlet, not feeding into the pump but the water exiting it on route back to the tank and providing a mist - checker showing green now. I will do the PH checks hourly tomorrow.
Ok well you can certainly try to locate the atomiser directly in front of you pump that might give you better results very quickly.
Is does not need to be plumbed in just sited as close as possible to the inlet.

Ok well you can certainly try to locate the atomiser directly in front of you pump that might give you better results very quickly.
Is does not need to be plumbed in just sited as close as possible to the inlet.

Its a Co2Art in-line atomiser. its fitted into the hose on the return side....its not a diffuser in the sump

I know but you can take it out of the line and place it in front of your pump,
You may well will get better flow and a smoother run without the atomiser in line and even better diffusion and even some completely dissolved C02.
It is just an idea although quite a few guys do use this method, it might not make a huge difference but maybe worth trying.

Back