• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

DOOA Maru - Why not?

Westerlybass

So it’s been a while since I last posted and I’ve learnt quite a lot in the decade in-between. I have a few tanks on the go at the mo, but I’m setting up a new cube tank. As I was checking out I spotted the DOOA Maru at Horizon Aquatics and I impulse bought one. 2 days later it has arrived and I’ve given it a go. I’ll journal progress in here, let me know what you think!

Attachments

• 7F02FE3C-274C-4F24-9EEB-BAC799F3B41F.jpeg
    7F02FE3C-274C-4F24-9EEB-BAC799F3B41F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 94
  • 58D94160-8EB3-485E-8C26-183B2D239172.jpeg
    58D94160-8EB3-485E-8C26-183B2D239172.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 71
  • F9846E5F-CB64-49F0-8D70-8E444A42B7F6.jpeg
    F9846E5F-CB64-49F0-8D70-8E444A42B7F6.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 70
  • A8149CE3-7DB8-40C0-AB6C-09023BBE3CFA.jpeg
    A8149CE3-7DB8-40C0-AB6C-09023BBE3CFA.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 66
  • 28C9B836-118A-4985-9FD1-7A67F8BCDB9A.jpeg
    28C9B836-118A-4985-9FD1-7A67F8BCDB9A.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 69

Deano3

Any updates as looking forward to seeing this, also would love to see and know more about the pico reef .

Thanks dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team

Westerlybass

The Maru is going well. A few days in now and the plants are all still green, hope fully in a few more days there will be signs of root growth.
It's quite diversely planted so we'll see what thrives and what doesn't in time.
Planted with:
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Myriophyllum guyana
Taxiphyllum barbieri
Pogostemon helferi
Monte Carlo
Eleocharis acicularis Mini
IMG_4540.jpeg

For those interested in the pico reef, it's a 15cm NACD cube based on a tank from Salty Gallon on Nano-Reef. It's actual water volume is just under 2 litres when emptied out at water change time and it has been running successfully from October. it has a small TMC gooseneck, a 10w fixed heater and a small return pump behind the back wall. The acrylic was custom ordered and then just siliconed in place. Livestock is purely soft coral with various small starfish and other hitchhikers plus a hermit crab.
IMG_4324.jpeg

Deano3

The Maru is going well. A few days in now and the plants are all still green, hope fully in a few more days there will be signs of root growth.
It's quite diversely planted so we'll see what thrives and what doesn't in time.
Planted with:
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Myriophyllum guyana
Taxiphyllum barbieri
Pogostemon helferi
Monte Carlo
Eleocharis acicularis Mini
View attachment 167147

For those interested in the pico reef, it's a 15cm NACD cube based on a tank from Salty Gallon on Nano-Reef. It's actual water volume is just under 2 litres when emptied out at water change time and it has been running successfully from October. it has a small TMC gooseneck, a 10w fixed heater and a small return pump behind the back wall. The acrylic was custom ordered and then just siliconed in place. Livestock is purely soft coral with various small starfish and other hitchhikers plus a hermit crab.
View attachment 167148
Love it the dooa looks good, i know nothing about saltwater but would love to dip my toe and have something like this as not as time consuming as a larger set up would love to know more. Does it need much equipment and take up much time etc.

Dean

Nick potts

Just setup a few jars/vases myself, nothing ADA fancy though :), will be watching to see how this grows.
Love it the dooa looks good, i know nothing about saltwater but would love to dip my toe and have something like this as not as time consuming as a larger set up would love to know more. Does it need much equipment and take up much time etc.

Dean

IMO a soft coral tank is less work than a high tech planted tank, most soft corals are very easy to care for, slow-growing and tolerate a beating. Equipment wise, for a soft coral tank, tank, light, heater and flow, A skimmer would be nice but not needed and regular water changes.

Deano3

Just setup a few jars/vases myself, nothing ADA fancy though :), will be watching to see how this grows.

IMO a soft coral tank is less work than a high tech planted tank, most soft corals are very easy to care for, slow-growing and tolerate a beating. Equipment wise, for a soft coral tank, tank, light, heater and flow, A skimmer would be nice but not needed and regular water changes.
Dont want to hijack this thread but may send you a message about it thanks nick

Westerlybass

Thanks both. I agree with Nick, soft corals are fairly easy to keep. Maintenance on this is 100% water change every 2 weeks or so, check salinity daily and top-off every few days, feed every week with reef-roids powder. The heater is switched off half the time as the pump produces enough heat for a tank this size. A skimmer would be overkill on this. People do use them but isn't needed on much pico/nano stuff. Temperature control (over-heating) and balancing water at change time seem to be the most important things. I'm not sure if posting to other forums is allowed? the journal space on nano-reef (particularly tigah-boy and salty gallon) is probably worth a browse if you are interested. Good news is that you don't need and RODI unit for something this small. Just a trip to the LFS every few months for 2*25 litres.