• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Doing pH profile - keeps dropping when stirring probe

You have to find another liquid test kit that reads below 6.

A calibrated probe will read accurate pH, which is defined by the concentration of H+. But it can't read free CO2 gas that liquid indicator can. So it is the other way around that liquid indicator is less accurate because it reads beyond H+. But if your goal is to use pH to estimate CO2, a pH probe will underestimate CO2 if the proportion of free CO2 gas is high.

My pH probe shows instability and higher pH than my API test kit during injection due to substantial CO2 misting. But pre injection, my pH probe is stable and read identical to my liquid indicator within my color vision resolution ability. But my tank water has higher pH, around 7.5 pre injection, so the color never drops below the chart.

Something else is causing your abnormal pH reading.

Hi Ian,

Out of interest I've just used the ph meter to test some newly mixed RO water with GH/KH+. Mixed to my usual TDS with a KH of 4 after leaving it to rest it reads a PH of 7.1 which seems bang on to me. So I think it's just my aquasoil pulling it down in the tank because it's still quite new. Hopefully it'll settle over time but I'm fairly confident everything's OK :)

Back