• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Does a Tank really cost 36p a Day to run in Electric

Well there are a couple of threads about this, as said though one of the best ways to save is to insulate the tank ,polystyrene could be used and of course keep the room it's in as warm as possible -draught proofing ,thermal curtains etc, Impellor driven filtration is cheap to run some externals only using 15watts.
I have 2 39watt t5 lights on a tank,this is from i.aquatics say-" running 2 39watt tubes at say 8 hours should cost around 21pence a day or £1.47p a week on average ,how accurate well the company doesn't do LEDs and there customer base(assume)is mainly Marine so it seems credible

For small tanks internal filters are more efficient for heat conservation (in cooler months), i found polystyrene insulation definitely helps, unfortunately open top tanks will struggle to keep heat in, (better in recent uk summers at keeping temperature down though), my new setup has been designed with heat conservation in mind (wier fed external filters, no external pipes, 20mm polystyrene covering rear of tank and inside of pelmet/lid), will probably have to use chiller during the summer, but hopefully not too often

Back