• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do you switch filter off when feeding

Used to turn it off but now leave it on, including the gyre or wave makers.
I think my fish feed better when they activity chase food, I also like to see some of the food being driven down to the substrate for the bottom dwellers.
I suppose a lot depends on the type of fish you have in the tank.

You guys need a TP Link Tapo100 smart plug - you can turn it on and off from your phone without having to dig around in your cupboard, plus you can set up a permanently scheduled ‘on’ timer in case you forget to turn it back on manually.

For example, I generally feed my fish at around 8pm, so the Tapo100 on the pump plug has an ‘on’ timer for 9pm, so if I forget to turn it back on, I know it’ll automatically do it.
Hi @Wookii That is just brilliant! Thanks! ... are you from the future or something ? :lol:

You guys need a TP Link Tapo100 smart plug - you can turn it on and off from your phone without having to dig around in your cupboard, plus you can set up a permanently scheduled ‘on’ timer in case you forget to turn it back on manually.

For example, I generally feed my fish at around 8pm, so the Tapo100 on the pump plug has an ‘on’ timer for 9pm, so if I forget to turn it back on, I know it’ll automatically do it.
We use smart plugs too. All named so we can use them with Alexa or from our phones. I have FX filters and they are set to go off at 8pm so that any maintenance I do doesn’t trigger the auto stop/start when we aren’t around just in case they don’t restart.

Also, there’s a sofa bed in the same room and guests don’t appreciate a 4am alarm call from the filter start up if I’ve been doing tank maintenance at the wrong time

Hi
Keep an eye on them as they are quite fine clog very easy(quite fast)
Regards Konstantin
Funny thing.

I had a call from my farther in law this morning, and he was up all night trying to work out why the flow to one of his tanks was trickling. I turned up went straight to the intake took it off, and whoosh the flow was back. Ive only recently put one on there (a week), and he didn't think of looking there. I took the sponge off, and give it a rinse, but didn't notice much coming off it. I was confused how the sponge would reduce the flow like that. I do like the idea of a prefilter, but would opt for a courser sponge next time. Ill be keeping an eye on it.

I felt sorry for him, and he did look a bit sheepish. He had the canister filter out, cleaning the impeller all sorts lol.

Always turn mine off when I feed daily, prevents the food going straight to the carpet plants and gives the fish more time to eat.
Have all my stuff on smart plugs to I just press a button on an App or ask Alexa to do it ;)
I have 4-5 different time slots to turn the filter back on in the schedule of the smart plugs in case I forget to turn it back on after feeding, so max it will stay off is an hour if I forget!

Filter on as the fish seem to enjoy chasing the food about and it helps to spread it so that the tetras don’t hog it all.
A few bits no doubt get to the bottom but most seems to re-circulate in the flow and by the time it’s had a couple of passes it’s been munched.

The Amano’s don’t get silver service like @MichaelJ ‘s though so they get to snack on anything the fish might miss, as well as competing with the SAE’s for veggies and wafers. I have seen my biggest Amano stroll off carrying a whole wafer mind you! 🙄

farther in law who has MS. He can do very light maintenance / feeding, but couldn't imagine him having to unplug every feeding time.
I set up a tank for some-one with serious arthritis and used a product like this;
Plug handle
It helped in her case, and the family got a load more for all their plugs once they knew they existed.
Maybe they would be useful for your f-i-l.

I have set up 3 tanks for my farther in law who has MS.

MS, now that's a scary one. I hope your father in law is doing well.

My mother has MS, luckily it hasn't yet impacted her mobility to an extreme degree. Since there is some degree of genetic link I really hope I never get it.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

MS, now that's a scary one. I hope your father in law is doing well.

My mother has MS, luckily it hasn't yet impacted her mobility to an extreme degree. Since there is some degree of genetic link I really hope I never get it.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Yeah his wife died of cancer about 10yr ago, and he did manage to travel a bit on his own, and then got the news he had this. He cant perform anything fiddly with his hands, and his legs have gone. He can get into the kitchen with his walker, but its a struggle for him. Hes fallen a few times, and my biggest fear is he will be feeding the fish grab onto the tank, and well it dont bare thinking about. Hes a stubborn bastid, and i tell him he cant do the things he used to so let me help him which i do every weekend with his water changes. If it wasnt for his fish i think he would have given up by now. It gives him something to focus on, and he gets a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Hes always wanted a shoal of CPD so set up another tank for him which is his third (old pic). I said make this your last. I knew i shouldn't have said that as hes already looking around for space to fit another one lol.

Attachments

• 0bf5aa05-9ec5-4586-9888-8e2f86980d09.jpeg
    0bf5aa05-9ec5-4586-9888-8e2f86980d09.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 117

I use the same Tapo 100 for my light. Also have the Tapo linked to the Alexa so if I want the light on at any other time its just a simple voice command.

I leave mine on. I have a sponge over the intake pipe so the food doesn’t get sucked straight up and I feed at the opposite side of the tank anyway. I find if anything having the filter on helps to evenly distribute the food amongst everyone and stops the greedy harlequin rasbora from gobbling it all up.

Just got some of these plugs myself so thought I'd add a function I spotted while looking through the menus. There is a 'countdown timer' option. So I set the filter to off, set a countdown timer to turn back on in 5 minutes, feed and then that's it. The plug automatically switches back on after 5 minutes. I've forgotten to turn the filter back on several times so this function is fantastic.

Set a countdown timer to turn back on in 5 minutes, feed and then that's it. The plug automatically switches back on after 5 minutes. I've forgotten to turn the filter back on several times so this function is fantastic.
I love the ability to set up scenarios with my smart plugs ... "Alexa, run the RO", "Alexa, feeding the fish". Depending on the smart plug brand, the scenarios can be tricky to set up ... I use el cheapo ones from The Bay of E

I love the ability to set up scenarios with my smart plugs ... "Alexa, run the RO", "Alexa, feeding the fish". Depending on the smart plug brand, the scenarios can be tricky to set up ... I use el cheapo ones from The Bay of E
Although I work in a data analysis/AI/automation role, I don't really like technology. I believe Alexa is a portal directly to the underworld, Google is that know it all down the pub that never buys a pint and waits until someone has emptied their pockets into the fruit machine before getting on it and I, Robot is a future prediction not a film :lol:

The smart plugs do make life much easier, so I maybe a convert but at the moment I like the way my tinfoil hat looks.

I too like just turning it off at the switch for the 3 minutes I’m adding frozen food.
My galaxies were smart, when the filter turned off they’d come looking for dinner.

Back