• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

do i need to add ntrate?

cichlidlover

hi all,
I add TPN once a week to my tank because i have always thought that keeping a large stock of fish meant that i did not need to add TPN+ as the fish provided enough nitrate. now i have been informed that i need to be adding nitrate ferts as i am injecting C02!

VERY CONFUSED :?

Mark

Hi Mark
Take a close look at your plants. If they're still healthy, then I'd say your OK. If the plants are not looking their best, then you will probably need to add it
If you're running CO2, and depending on your lighting, then your plants uptake of N & P (and everything else), will be greatly increased. If this cannot be supplied by the fish waste then your plants will struggle.
Also, it is better to feed your plants little and often, as opposed to once a week, especially on a CO2 injected tank.
The condition of your plants is the best indicator ever :D .

thanks chris,
sorry the post was a little rushed :rolleyes:
my tank is 240lt running 80w and 3BPS CO2. I the stated dose of tropica once a week and jbl daily feed every day, and my plants (80% planted) are doing ok. oh, my nitrates are 15ppm.
the reason i asked is that on another website I advised someone about ferts telling him not to worry to much about M+P if you have a good head of fish and a guy advised me that i should be dosing them too even if I have nitrates (this chap is also a member on here and is supposedly a plant expert!

mark

Hi Mark.

You're probably getting away with it because your lighting is low, therefore demand for ferts will be low.
Providing your plants are looking good and you haven't got a tank full of algae then I suspect you will be OK for now.
But do watch out, as the plants get bigger the demand for all ferts will go up, so you may end up with problems. This maybe why you was advised to dose N & P now. One less problem to worry about ;)

Back