• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Cabinet 750h x 300d x 600w

Structural integrity comes from the rectangular front piece above the doors. The wider this is, the stronger the structure.
I've routed out a groove in the back of my unit to house the 18mm ply back. This will make mine very strong.

I know it sounds obvious, but make sure the top goes on the top of the uprights/side panels. I've seen it done the other way round, and all the weight is on the screws themselves. :nailbiting:

Loud and clear :)

I intend to amass the bits I need and then rock up at my bros and instruct him to assemble (he's a joiner) in the workshop! :D

My cabinet is only 600mm wide but if I was going larger than that I would probably have added a vertical support at the front as well (it's on my original drawing but I took the advice not to bother with it).

Having said that, now it's built, mine is incredibly sturdy and I can't see an extra 200mm making much difference.

My cabinet is only 600mm wide but if I was going larger than that I would probably have added a vertical support at the front as well (it's on my original drawing but I took the advice not to bother with it).

Having said that, now it's built, mine is incredibly sturdy and I can't see an extra 200mm making much difference.

If you hear a loud bang and smashing sound, followed by gushing water in the middle of the night don't blame me ok lol

Surprising how sturdy they are isn't it.

I've actually semi finished mine now, I've cut the door in half and fitted some hinges and mag catches. Wifey covered the doors and top panel in Dark Walnut Fablon earlier on too. It don't look half bad now lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:) Nice one Wallace, got any photos?

Mine would be finished but I don't want to be sanding MDF indoors and it's rained every evening this week. :(

I've just taken this with my phone so it's not the best pic but it'll give you an idea.

e9a5ypyp.jpg

The next one is gonna be built properly from start to finish, not be half finished off a year and half later lol

I've just taken this with my phone so it's not the best pic but it'll give you an idea.

e9a5ypyp.jpg

The next one is gonna be built properly from start to finish, not be half finished off a year and half later lol

I particularly like how 3 dimensional your wallpaper is. It almost comes to life on the right of the tank..

My OH's getting to the point of beyond caring... top quote of hers via email today whilst testing the water on a style of cabinet i like, when asked 'do you like this'

Amazingly, yes I do, I like a bit of wood. I’d put
up with most aquaria if set up on a nice block

Eaaaaaasy! :D lol

Yes it is Wallace, lightly modified 16V Integrale in very good nick :)

Glad you've posted this up, I've been looking at new tanks since we have to redecorate the living room, my cabinet is the wrong colour.
So I thought, I know, eBay/gumtree and bigger tank.
But looking at this, it may be easier to make a new cabinet!
What's the biggest tank that people have on DIY cabs?

Glad you've posted this up, I've been looking at new tanks since we have to redecorate the living room, my cabinet is the wrong colour.
So I thought, I know, eBay/gumtree and bigger tank.
But looking at this, it may be easier to make a new cabinet!
What's the biggest tank that people have on DIY cabs?

Mines going to be 900mm, but there's definitely bigger.

Took a couple of pictures of one of my finished cabinets :)

IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_0514.JPG

Nice mate. Looks great.
You did it inside too? Must have cost a fortune in zebrano veneer? Where did you purchase it from?
Is that a Do aqua Wabi Kusa setup? :)

Back