• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY c02 Question

MrLarner

as some of you are aware, im a newbie to planted tanks, after spending a few years doing marine,
I have recently set up a planted tank and have some basic plants in there at the moment.
2 nights ago, i made myself a DIY c02 system which is working great, im getting about 3 drops every 2 seconds in my bubble counter but i've just thought something....
at night, my plants dont need c02 so is there a way i can stop the c02 from going into the tank? or should i just leave it and let it produce c02 all through the night as well?

You could put a simple t piece in with a opening valve on but adding the co2 at night is not a major issue.

I know its not a major issue as far as damaging the plants etc, but wondered if it could cause any problems in the long run, considering the plants dont use any c02 at night once the lights go out.

I wouldn't worry to much as only a few years back it was the norm for some folk to leave their pressurised C02 supply sytems on 24 7.
Even the national magazines recommended the practice as it was believed the constant supply would keep the tank conditions more stable however, we now know that fluctuating PH has little or no effect on the plants health.
I ran my tank with a constant supply (as recommended at the time) for two years. The only difference I see know is a longer lasting supply from my cylinder.

Back