• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Discus in Hard water

:(Yeah it's a bummer for sure. I bought some juveniles for probably over the odds from a LFS once and one by one they succumb to some internal disease. Can't remember the name of the infection but you treat it with metrodanizole which I had to get from the vets. They refused to eat and one by one they all just wasted away. My next go I bought a breeding pair of blue turqs which did ok. While I was working away my nephew who was stopping over poured some vimto into the tank. When I got back did lots of large water changes but they went on me. That was my finish with the fish. Sometimes turning up the temp a couple more degrees can help I think.

Hi yeah i know but the other one is doing really well he is eating, swimming around the tank he/she ( as not sure ) looks a happy discus. Thinking of going to Doncaster Discus Show and getting some fish then. But i will keep on with the Melafix and see what happens. He is eating but only if i put some bool worm in but least he is eating some thing.:)

Might try mixing some Metronidazole with the blood worm's if the fish is still eating and perform daily water changes.
I have used 250 mg tablet's (crushed), of the metro with equal amount of fish food, and then offered this each day as only food for three day's with daily water change or every twelve hours.Then monitor the fish for a couple day's for improvement's.(repeat if necessary)
Believe melafix to help with minor wound's but daily water changes have produced same effect's for me.
Can treat water with metro but if fish will eat,, then mixing with food is more effective.
I am no expert on illness but offering what I might try for the ailing fish.
Would definately treat sick fish in quarantine,and alway's quarantine new fish no matter where I got them.
Would be in no hurry to add new fish to existing tank until I was sure that no other fishes exhibited similar synptom's.

Hi dude yeah thinking of it but on the sunday as work sat's. but have found a breeder in my area so going to have a look next week. i want to leave the tank for a few week just to keep my eye on the other one. going to do masave water change today just off to get a new uv bulb and put that in just to help get rib off any thing in the water.

Hi all been to look at some new discus at a local breeder and WOW. Nice fish all breed in local water over the last 10 years and as he is only a few miles down the road. GOOD TIMES:). So i have paid for four small 2/3 inch Red Marlboro's as he as put them in to a spare tank and is going to worm and treat for me. I told him of my last one and well not to say to much i won't be getting any more fish from that shop!!!!!. It always pays to talk to some one who knows about the fish they are selling you and by judging by this guys fish room and the Discus he as i'd say he knows best. :thumbup:

I picked up my new fish last night and all is well. They are not shy at all when i went to have a look this morning they were up at the glass wanting to be feed :). I can recommend Martin at East yorkshire Discus you can tell the fish are his life. So if any one is looking for Discus you can contact him at East Yorkshire Discus. I will pop some photos on when the lights come on :).

Here are some picks I'd love some feed back:)
CRIM0072_zps872f2613.jpg

i wish they would stay still long enough for me to take a photo.
CRIM0081_zpse0c3744f.jpg

I need a better camera.:banghead:
Tank looks a bit bitty as just cut and re planted some of the steam plant.

CRIM0070_zps476b6c14.jpg

All is well with my Discus it pays to get good fish to start with:)

Back