• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Disaster waiting to happen?

thelats1981

Hi there, sorry for the dramatic title but I'm working on the Sun's level of marketing "jordan's had a baby thats eaten the neighbours dog" etc.

I'm in the process of sorting my tank and algae issues, part of the problem is likely to be low plant mass. My local, nameless chain pet shop, annoyingly is the only one within about 30 miles to have tropica plants in. So I took a trip to try and get some fast growers to help stabilise things.

1st week after xmas is not the best time. To be honest the fish looked unhappy, let alone some tricky to grow Tropica pots!

Anyway I digress, basically in my haste to stock up I bought an Echinodorus Cordifolious ssp. Fluitans and planted it in the rear corner.

My tank is only 190 litre (not sure exact dimensions, but around 1metre wide, 30cms front to back, and around 40cms tall) is the Sword going to take over and shade everything else in there?

If so, will come out at the weekend and replaced with something more reasonable.

thanks guys

It might but it will look pretty impressive while it does! You can remove the larger leaves as it grows and keep it in check for while or just go the whole hog and change your tank to an open topped one with a pendant light and allow the sword to grow emersed leaves and probably flower! It will look even more impressive then.

Hi Ed,

apologies for the delay replying. open top is not an option on this tank, although is a plan for a second tank in the future (once I've learnt how to keep plants alive and algae at bay!) I think it will be replaced with something more reasonable sooner rather than later, not sure I fancy trying to get this out once its established!

Back