• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Difffused backgrounds

Hey mike, i found the same with the TGM removable stuff using fairy liquid aswell.. its like the bond fails as the water dries out? There is every chance it is user error but never had any issues with bathroom frosting like in the links. The blue tint one works quite well too, especially backlit.

Ill give the fairy liquid a go as well then, can't do much now my tank is filled mind!

I have the same product (as yet unused).

There is a liquid you can buy that comes in a little black bottle called Seaclear or something and it is an oily mixture that you wipe over the tank back and to the backing and then smooth it out with a credit card (i used a larger scraper first and then a credit card on my last backing). Its the same theory as fairy liquid, but the reason I chose it was that I was not happy about getting Fairy Liquid near the tank. George F has said that he has used olive or some form of cooking oil in the past as well.

Water should work though, there is even a video of Oliver Knott using that method, on TGM's website.

Chris, its called clearseal background adhesive. I tried sticking their background to my tank with it.

Lets just say i got close to punching my tank to bits in the finish, it kept flopping off and bubbling. I dont know how it even made me as mad as it did :rage:

Anyhoo, Fairy liquid is like a tiny drop per litre. Nothing heavy. The fish would think they were in a mediocre foam party at best :lol:

Read your message mate, let us know what you have in mind ;)

I just reversed my frosted film, I found it works perfectly if you treat it like a normal background and use a bit of sellotape at the corners of the non static side, rather than use the static effect, for me that side created loads of unsightly smudged bubbles.

For me the best non intrusive background ever...

(bought from b & q bathroom dept, used for privacy film for bathroom windows etc. Think is was £5. )

Just a quick question, will these opaque films completely hide pipework behind or will it still be partly visible ? I was thinking it would be great if there was a graduated type where the ends were darker.

Thanks Iain just ordered some of the blue, is it hard to fit and do you have any pics with it on? Thanks

no probs at all, spray bottle with a little fairy liquid and a squeegy?
pic from what seems a long time ago...
IMG_1114.jpg

If you back light it too it will pop.

I usually offer background film in black or white to be put in my custom builds Bradley but I have run out of stock! Sorry Mate, if u want me to put it the cube I'm building you I'm more than happy to. I have done this countless times with the above method. Using a spray bottle with a smidge of fairy liquid in works wonders. It's very simple, use a credit card to slide the bubbles out and viola :) it might be something u may like to try in the other hand.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ah thats ok thanks mate i have some stuff ordered for my 90 tank so will see how it comes out and will let you know the outcome

i have found a light brushing of fine cooking oil to the back of the tank and a credit card or a spatula of some sorts to chase the bubbles
out works well

I've used the Wilko's stuff on three tanks, 100cm, 60cm and 40cm. Used water for the 100cm and it's started peeling off and bubbling, but used cooking oil for both others and it looks so much better! I've also placed a 40cm colour change led strip ( £20 ish off ebay!) behind the 60cm so I can then choose the background colour! Works a treat! The scape gets silhouetted really nicely at night.

Back