• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Different drop checker colours during the day, is that how it suppose to be?

UllavL

Hi,
I've started my fist high tec tank two weeks ago and am still a bit confused about my dropchecker and how to use it. Is my goal that it should be green 24 hours a day or should it vary? Right now it's blue before the light comes on, green in the middle of the light period and green-yellow just before I turn of the co2. I do know that it shouldn't be yellow, but right now I have no fish in the tank so I'm not killing anything.

The light period is 7 hours, co2 comes on about 1,5 before lights on and is turned of 1,5 hours before the lights of.
http://imageshack.com/a/img537/1288/ARNmxU.jpg

Hi,
I've started my fist high tec tank two weeks ago and am still a bit confused about my dropchecker and how to use it. Is my goal that it should be green 24 hours a day or should it vary? Right now it's blue before the light comes on, green in the middle of the light period and green-yellow just before I turn of the co2. I do know that it shouldn't be yellow, but right now I have no fish in the tank so I'm not killing anything.

The light period is 7 hours, co2 comes on about 1,5 before lights on and is turned of 1,5 hours before the lights of.
Great scape btw. I love the rocks. I would turn co2 to come on 2 or 3 hours before light on so drop checker would be green or lime green. Check your ph in the morning and try to get a 1 point ph drop when lights are on. a ph monitor is the best equipment for that or a ph pen.

i don't use a drop checker just monitor the ph and your good to go.

cheers
Ryan

Great scape btw. I love the rocks. I would turn co2 to come on 2 or 3 hours before light on so drop checker would be green or lime green. Check your ph in the morning and try to get a 1 point ph drop when lights are on. a ph monitor is the best equipment for that or a ph pen.

i don't use a drop checker just monitor the ph and your good to go.

cheers
Ryan
+1
I gave up with my drop checker too, it was delayed by around 2hours, which is no good when aiming for a 1point drop by lights on time but they are OK as a quick indication once co2 is set properly. Mine used to be yellow all day and only just managed to turn green by the time gas came on the next day

Thanks you both! I've read the link but I was somewhat puzzled about if I should achieve a green drop checker all the time. Do you have any recommendations for a good ph pen Ryan?
Hi,

another thing I notices you have two outlet facing the same way. if thing are good then leave it but if not then have one outlet on the other opposite side making a circle motion.

cheers
ryan

You may also try this as i do. Leave Co2 turned on 24 hours in a minor rate. Much less rate. You´ll need to point it till is good. Till you find your drop always light green.

That way you´ll find you wont need to inject so much Co2 and best of all.. you wont have variations of Co2 in the tank but always a pefect, reliable, and permanent value.

If variations of Co2 are the most common cause of algae why we turn it off?
Why injcting so much on those previous couple of hours before lights up? What is the purpose? Just leave ti on. Achieve a high level and in the end of the day goes doiwn.. there you have your PH up and down.. Co2 up and down.. is this good to the tank? This variations?

Does God in nature switch on and off the Co2? Co2 is always presente even at night. Even for those who claim that plants release CO2 at night let me tell that is so insignificant that is quite impossible to measure. If plants release so much Co2 at night as people claim your Drop Checker wouldn´t turn blue Isnt´that so?

If plants release so much Co2 at night probably none of us were talking here!.

I have it 24 hours and never got my tank so stable and so reliable as now. And i have fish on it.

For the rest of us who are in this hobbie for long time now i leave this for thinking. To debate.

Best regards.

Does God in nature switch on and off the Co2? Co2 is always presente even at night. Even for those who claim that plants release CO2 at night let me tell that is so insignificant that is quite impossible to measure. If plants release so much Co2 at night as people claim your Drop Checker wouldn´t turn blue Isnt´that so?

Mine used to be yellow all day and only just managed to turn green by the time gas came on the next day

even with good surface agitation and co2 on a solenoid. co2 came on 2.5h before lights and went off 4h before lights, explain that?

Thanks you all for your input! Regarding the outlets @legytt it seems to work fine right now. It'll be a bit difficult to change there positions now so I'll start with them this way until I see a definite problem.

And thanks for your interesting input @Paulo Soares! I'll consider that as an alternative. Thought I check the ph-values each hour today to get a better understanding of my tank. It will have to do with drop tests until I can by a more reliable ph monitor.

Back