• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Diatom and how to use fertilizer and light

I am struggling to be patient! But it's also only been 3 weeks and the aquarium store said 4-6 weeks for the tank to be ready when using Tropica Soil.
It's best to be patient in this hobby else you will end up not really enjoying things. Nature needs time to adjust. 3 weeks is literally nothing in the this realm. My amano breeding tank literally took 3 months to cycle and it's still not 100% mature. Use this time to evaluate how your tank evolves and to try to understand the underlying mechanisms.
To kill a plant it take some effort and you can always replant some smaller shoots if bigger ones die.
You could add some floating plants to aid in the process.

@GHNelson That sounds very interesting! Do traditional floating plants not basically do the same? Because I just ordered some Salvinia auriculata yesterday that I'm expecting to arrive tomorrow. I don't think they've shipped them yet, so I can probably get them to add some stem plants to the order.

My amano breeding tank literally took 3 months to cycle and it's still not 100% mature
Did it then take 3 months before you could add shrimp?
I'm fortunately, despite having to work on patience, still enjoying the process. You're right that nature can't be rushed.
I actually ordered some floating plants (Salvinia auriculata) yesterday, am expecting them to arrive tomorrow.
Algae (though not diatom) has killed, or at least crippled, quite a few plants in my other, larger, low tech, tank, hence my fear of them I guess. I really want plants to grow well in this tank!

Did it then take 3 months before you could add shrimp?
I'm fortunately, despite having to work on patience, still enjoying the process. You're right that nature can't be rushed.
I actually ordered some floating plants (Salvinia auriculata) yesterday, am expecting them to arrive tomorrow.
Algae (though not diatom) has killed, or at least crippled, quite a few plants in my other, larger, low tech, tank, hence my fear of them I guess. I really want plants to grow well in this tank!
In my case yes. But that tank si somewhat special as I am using an under-gravel filter so ammonia will be loaded in the water column much longer than in a traditional tank with a canister since water is constantly flowing through the UGF.
The point was, 3 weeks is nothing and there is no point in trying to rush things. A few diatoms is nothing to fear and your tank should be ready soon enough.

In my case yes. But that tank si somewhat special as I am using an under-gravel filter so ammonia will be loaded in the water column much longer than in a traditional tank with a canister since water is constantly flowing through the UGF.
The point was, 3 weeks is nothing and there is no point in trying to rush things. A few diatoms is nothing to fear and your tank should be ready soon enough.
Great. Thanks so much for the help, I am so much less worried about it now.

@GHNelson That sounds very interesting! Do traditional floating plants not basically do the same? Because I just ordered some Salvinia auriculata yesterday that I'm expecting to arrive tomorrow. I don't think they've shipped them yet, so I can probably get them to add some stem plants to the order.
Yes they do!
I prefer using stem plants as they don't grow as fast plus they don't get pushed around the water surface as much!
You can used both.

Yes they do!
I prefer using stem plants as they don't grow as fast plus they don't get pushed around the water surface as much!
You can used both.
Excellent! Next time I trim my Limnophila sessiflora I will leave the trimmings floating in the tank along with the Salvinia. Thanks for the suggestion.

One i made earlier....10th of March!
Eclectic mini tank top shot 1.jpg 1.jpg

hoggie

It gives a nice natural pond look too.

Back