• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

dennerle scaper's tank

Robbie X

EDIT: Hi guys, I have decided to invest in the TMC Signiture tank 60x45x30 (WxDxH) instead of the Scaper's tank. The TMC is a little bigger and will offer more scope I thinking.

Hi all, new to the forum and planning my first ever aquascaped tank. I have kept numerous freshwater tanks in the past but never tried my hand at aquascaping.
I'm very much digging the dennerle scaper's tank kit http://www.dennerle.eu/global/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=624:scapers-tank-complete-plus&catid=212:aquascaping-aquarien&Itemid=301&lang=en
Would love to hear from anyone that has purchased this kit, you're opinions, experience and feedback on the kit would be very welcome.
Robbie

Last edited:
Tank is fine, don't get tempted to buy the cleaning magnet that's rounded for the corners. Magnets always leave scratches (found that out the hard way, again)
The filter is fine as well, I have the older black version with a surface skimmer and lots of options. decided to do away with the skimmer later on.
I can't comment on the substrate but I suppose it's fine.

in closing: fine :p

Cheers for the reply Arne, I used to own a Red Sea max tank that had rounded corners and always used my finger to clean the corners ;)
What do you think of the lighting in the kit?
Would also like to hear from anyone on a fish stocking ratio for this tank. (45 x 31 x 36 cm (WxHxD) 50L)
My initial plan was:
Apistogramma cacatuoides (Pair), undecided dwarf cichlid (Pair), small shoal of Corydoras panda, shoal of Paracheirodon innesi or Paracheirodon axelrodi, but I'm thinking this will be too heavy a load for this size tank.
Opinions and advice very welcome :)

Regarding stocking, your apistos are a dwarf cichlid pair, and you wouldn't want to put two pairs of bottom dwelling territorial cichlids in a tank that size. Also watch the pandas, as they are one of the more sensitive corydora and may take a bit of abuse from the apistos if they decide to breed.

Thanks for the advice Claire, I'll go with a single pair of cacatuoides. I dearly love the Corydoras panda and have kept them in the past with cacatuoides without problems, but will keep in mind you're advice.
As yet I'm undecided on a low tech or high tech system for CO2, would appreciate some advice on the pros & cons of CO2 systems for a tank this size. Any links to articles on this subject, recommended systems etc very much appreciated.

Just a quick update on the plants that have caught my eye so far.
Plant list:
Hemianthus callitrichoides "Cuba"
Fissidens geppii
Moss Ball
Riccardia Chamedryfolia (Mini coral moss)
Fissiden Fontanus (Phoenix moss)
Pogostemon helferi
Vallisneria nana
Lindernia rotundifolia
Echinodorus vesuvius

Advice and feedback on this list very welcome
Robbie

Lighting looks like it has reflectors so it's probably sufficient, and widely adjustable like the smaller light I have on the slightly smaller Dennerle Cube I have.

Regarding the dwarf cichlids, I wouldn't put any in a tank this size. As Claire also said if they breed there will be no rest for anything anywhere, including the cichlids themselves. You might be able to mix them with the cory's but I wouldn't put a shoal of smaller fish in there with them.

I can't comment on the substrate but I suppose it's fine.

Yes substrate is fine. I used it many years ago in a dutch style aquarium with excellent results. Got to say I like Dennerle products, maybe a bit pricey but it's a 'get what you pay for' thing.:thumbup:

I was thinking in terms of width, I like the depth and height but would like it to be wider. I also like the filtration and lighting kit that comes with it, but if I could find a wider tank with the same sort of depth and height I may consider getting that wider tank and buy the filter and light from this kit.

there are a LOT of 60x30x30/36 tanks out there. ADA or clones ;)

Wow, massive price jump for the ADA tank, the scapers tank can be purchased for around £65 and the ADA comes in at £150 for the extra 15cm, it is a lovely tank though. I see you can also get a Do!aqua with the same dimensions as the ADA cube garden 60-P for a little less at £116. This is still almost double the price for an extra 15cm though.
I need to do some hard thinking but as I'm on a tight budget I can't see me stretching for an extra 15cm.

I think you'll struggle with the HC without co2. It is possible to grow it without, but it is very difficult and growth is at a snails pace :p

Back