• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dennerle Scapers Tank 50l first shot

martyg2010

Seedling
Well, yipee my tank and substrate arrived today.

Time to have a play with hardscape...

I'm happy with the primary and secondary stones on the left side, but not sure what to do with the right hand side?

Leave it bare like this
5c7459ab16afdd0c1f6fda9b229f9558.jpg

Or my 2nd attempt
2153e09f58fdaacaa7364bb67305c887.jpg

To me the 2nd layout is more balanced, but what do I know right

Any other suggestions?

I got 9 pieces of rock and have only used 5, anything more looks to much.

Sent from somewhere using some electronic device.

I like the layout in the second picture, it seems more balanced. It could be improved I think by adjusting the back right piece of rock to point upwards. If the curve on the far right pointed upwards rather than down, it may give the impression of a basin of rock.

Good luck!

Everything is still dry, keep messing about with those stones, I'm sure you can do much more with it. The front left stone looks as if it's almost the same size as the stone behind it, try putting it flat and deeper into the substrate or use a different stone....it's best to have the head stone bigger than all others. Maybe bank up the substrate more to the back to give the whole layout more depth, but that's maybe just me as I like to go high at the back.

Had another play around this morning and decided to switch sides.

The surface of the rocks are more interesting this way around and I think I'm pretty happy with it.

I pushed the stone behind the primary stone into the substrate further and raised the primary up a bit too.

When I compare it to the first 2 lay outs in the thread its night and day difference in terms of rock surface texture and interestingness

ef708597732c9b9b4166e2eb0de98d14.jpg

The tank is looking good. I like the second layout and the last one. What kind of fish you will keep?

The tank is looking good. I like the second layout and the last one. What kind of fish you will keep?
Looking at a couple of ottos, maybe shrimp and I really want a dwarf puffer. It's just finding somewhere local to get one.

I saw some dwarf puffers at Tranquility aquatic on yesterday.
I don't see your location, but let the tank to finish the cycle and in this time have a look at you local shops. I'm doing the same now, because i want to change my 6 zebras with something else.

I saw some dwarf puffers at Tranquility aquatic on yesterday.
I don't see your location, but let the tank to finish the cycle and in this time have a look at you local shops. I'm doing the same now, because i want to change my 6 zebras with something else.
I'm located Newcastle/Sunderland area so Romford is most definitely out of the question

But as you say you didn't know where I was.

Sorry :) i'm sure that you will find somewhere that puffers. They are some nice fish.

Well after wrangling with boxes, plants, tubing, water and all the associated equipment all afternoon, I've gotten the tank planted how I want it.

One question for the more knowledgeable though is, the Monte Carlo seems to want to float obviously so how do you keep it low to the substrate?

Quick PIC
9008cb50559dbee221694389775b68fc.jpg

A quick update on the tank.

Got me some fishies! A couple of otos and 3 dwarf puffers.

092c002968bb66c14dd5140fe873aa82.jpg

756e5fd1e5ad5b8d3e15ebbf1cb3c5bc.jpg

Could only get a photo of the 2 largest puffers as the smallest one is truly tiny, about the size of one of the Monte Carlo leaves!

Everything seems to be going well. Took the standard filter media out of the filter and set up a coarse, medium, and fine deal with the foams.

Then stuffed the top tray with Biohome Ultimate.

I have some glass lily pipes coming too and some 12/15mm hose and reducers as the filter I have has 10mm ID pipe, stupid size as no lily pipes I could find fit 10mm ID pipe.

Back