• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Deleted thread

Good luck with that, getting the cabletie around all of the various grills is easier said than done.

It's quite easy to do actually Justis.:rolleyes: The problem comes with the powerhead overheating as it has to work harder to pull the water through the sponge. I tried the same and contrary to Justis' advice I found the fitting very simple. Problem for me came with the heat produced from the powerhead. It's still running, but I'm probably going to switch to an airdriven sponge.

Whatever you use just make sure it's fine enough. I made a small screen of tulle netting for my Aquanano 40 that clearly wasn't fine enough. On Friday I found over 50 baby shrimps living in the holes in the sponge. It took over an hour to carefully separating them from the mulm I had washed out of it.

I forgot to mention that fun part :D it does take a while,my neighbours think I'm nuts peering into a bucket of dirty water :lol:

Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
It does that too - starts to run dry and makes scary gurgling noises in the middle of the night! Thought we had a badger in the dining room in the dead of the night the first time it happened! lol

The power head does gets hot though, to the point where it keeps the tank at about 27-28 degrees without a heater! Just be careful and keep an eye on it if you do the same. I'll check my powerhead, maybe it's not related to me covering the intakes and is getting hot because it's faulty:)

Deleted

I have simply tucked in enough coarse sponges on all entry exits of the internal. Cut them to requirement. No need to glue or tie. The internal pump sucks water from the tube inside the Juwel (if you know what i mean). So its not only gravity seeping. The coarse sponges act as prefilter meshes which is good.

I connected a few extra L bend pipes to the pump outlet, so the water is thrown back from above the filter-box edge. This way I dont have to worry abt shrimps getting inside from the small oulrt hole in the box, and also more freedom in moving the water flow direction.

Hope it helps.

niru

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Deleted

Firefly, did this work? Were you still able to remove the filter media sponges or does the additional sponge get in the way when you lift the media out? There is an additional set of holes lower down on the side near the back, it is very difficult to get to, did you do anything there? Thanks in advance!

Back