• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Deleted thread

I haven't tried Laetacara dorsigera in hard water, but L. curviceps are perfectly happy in 17oDH, pH7.6. So are Nannacara anomala, which are also very nice.

Don't think it's a problem. Have a look at temp-needs as well though!!! Besides Sterbai they all like cooler water.

Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep apistogramma cacatouides, and apistogramma baenschi. My tap water is ph 7.6. not 100% sure what it is in the tank. They both happily spawn in these conditions, without any encouragement.

Deleted

Deleted

I didnt have time to test my tank. Yep I use tap water. I looked on anglian water. 17.8 dh . Is that the reading your after. On rhe site it said very hard.

Deleted

You could always try one of the lake tang shell dwelling species, I kept N. Brevis in a planted community for some time

Deleted

Spawning doesn't say anything about the conditions a fish like or may not like. On the contrary some fish will spawn when conditions get worse to keep the species alive. Think of killifish in the wild aso. I think the line bred ones surely will adapt. Rams are so overbred they can get any disease. Lower Ph means more acidic water in which less bacteriaspecies can survive. This means less possible infections aso!!! For instance Cardinals (often wild caught) will stay more healthy and live longer on low PH and high temps because of this.

Deleted

I know youve stopped looking but just to add to the info
My brevis were always kept in a planted commuinty tank. No digging and no agression towards non brevis even during breeding, with the exception of some keyhole cichlids which I had to remove after a couple of days. Some of their more random tankmates included otos, amano shrimp and a dwarf puffer

I will be keeping some Blue rams in hard water, have kept them in the past. Although not had them breed yet

Deleted

That's fine, thanks for the info, but I'm not interested in Tangs sorry - I've been down that route, have kept shellies before. Whilst they might "work" in a planted tank I don't like it. I would only keep them in a dedicated Tang tank. Don't waste your time trying to convince me as it'll be a losing battle sorry! My stocking is now set so this thread need not continue.

Thank you everyone for your input! :)

Not trying to change your mind just adding my reasoning behind my suggestion for others that come across this thread :)

Back