• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Decent heater - life expectancy

Hi,

Have used such controllers for over 25 years, think you would have heard about it by now if they were problematic.

Set your heater stat, if fitted, to 2 - 3 deg c above your desired temp, so if you did have any problem with the temp controller the heaters stat will act as double protection.

The most likely problems are when you do tank maintenance and water changes, you may forget the temp sensor is exposed so it will turn the heater on, which if also below its normal water level can cause a problem, so get into the habit of always switching it off first.

Also its easy to knock the sensor out of position without realising it, so once happy with its location, eg in a good flow location, secure it and / or the cable to a pipe or sucker with a cable tie.

Hi Ian, do you know if all Jewel heaters have a triac power 'switch' or just a given range of their heaters.
Sorry, don't know, as this was the only one I have taken apart. I would assume all heaters would be electronic nowadays in some form or another.

Sounds like you've been very unlucky.

I use two 200w Eheim pre-set heaters in my Rio 450 as they're much smaller and thus more discreet in comparison with any other heater I've seen.

I've also got a cheap All Pond Solutions heater in my 60 litre cube which works perfectly.

I know that some reef keepers replace their heaters yearly just as a precaution. Alternatively, some keep two identical heaters and have one set a few degrees lower. If the main one breaks, the backup one kicks in when the temperature drops a bit.

Bizarrely the Maidenhead thermostat started working again as I got the temperature controller. I have worked this the other way around to suggestions so controller is set 1.5°C higher than I want tank to get so if heater does fail and starts getting too hot again this should cut the power.

Father Christmas is hopefully bringing me 2x100w heaters to swap over

Back