• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

day 25, Algae time...

sh4d0w

I am looking to pick your brains on a couple of bits if I may, please
Day 1 -

Picture1.png

Day2 -
IMG_9401.jpg

Day 20 -
IMG_9742.jpg

Now i have some algea and a bit of melting?
DSC08527.jpg
IMG_9744.jpg

Picture2.png
Picture3.png
Picture4.png

So I was off to a flying start with very few issues, no floaters no uprooting, no movement, no leaks, filters both no issues with priming, my 3 year old but never used TMC Vectron 600 UV doesn’t work and that’s plumbed in but hey. Still need to set up my dosers, but work in progress.

I have started to show a bit of black algae, not sure what it is but its on the same plant in two areas of the tank, bottom left and upper right and also the Alternanthera Reineckii is showing some leaf damage.

Week 1 - 50% water change every day, topped up with correct temp water, treated with Prime, Stability and Flourish Advance – Lights on 70% for 5 hours with a 30min ramp up and down, CO2 was missing for some time as my timer didn’t save the program.

Week 2 - 50% water change every other day, topped up with correct temp water, treated with Prime, Stability and Flourish Advance – Lights on 70% for 5 hours with a 30min ramp up and down, CO2 was missing for some time as my timer didn’t save the program.

Week 3 - 50% water change every third day, topped up with correct temp water, treated with Prime, Stability ran out on day 2 and Flourish Advance ran out on day 4 then moved to APT, 9 pumps – Lights on 70% for 5 hours with a 30min ramp up and down, CO2 dialled in to about 2 bubbles a second from one hour before lights.
Week 4 and to date - 50% water change on a Sunday, topped up with correct temp water, treated with Prime and APT – Lights on 70% for 5 hours with a 30min ramp up and down, CO2 as above. I am going to start increasing the light a bit each day – I question this given my issues noted above.

What are your thoughts guys?

To get my Rotala “Redder” is that going to be more light ?

Attachments

• IMG_9747.jpg
    IMG_9747.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 75
Hi all,
UKAPS - dont fail me now, miles more response on Facebook
But you are going to get quality, if not quantity.
To get my Rotala “Redder” is that going to be more light ?
Yes, a combination of <"more light"> and <"less nitrogen (N)">
Do you have <"Amano shrimps">?
Flourish Advance
Another new one for me <"Seachem - Flourish Advance"> and it looks like another <"Seachem classic">.
then moved to APT, 9 pumps
That should be better, but you might be interested <"in this thread">.

When you add CO2 plants can only make use of the extra inorganic carbon (C) if none of the <"mineral nutrients are deficient">. That was why <"Estimative Index"> was developed.

The <"Duckweed Index"> also makes use of elevated CO2 levels, but in this case <"atmospheric, rather than added"> <"Global Monitoring Laboratory - Carbon Cycle Greenhouse Gases">.
We don't know how to control <"Black Brush Algae">. I only tend to get it in places where the <"Ramshorn Snails can't graze">, I'm going to guess that your Nerites <"would control it in the long run">, but probably aren't venturing off the hardscape.
I think that is probably just an old frond on the Java fern (Microsorum pteropus). They need really high humidity when emersed, so <"it maybe drying damage">.
miles more response on Facebook :(
<"Bring em on">, I've <"had my coffee"> and I'm ready for them.

cheers Darrel

It doesn’t look too bad, I always find bucephalandra struggle in new set ups and would add them once the scape is more mature. I’m sure multiple people will come along now and say they’re fine from the off!

As Darrell said the Java fern melt just looks like an old frond. Make sure you remove any damaged or bba infested leaves as they’ll only contribute to your problem. You can always spot does with liquid carbon if you’re really bothered about the bba, that’ll soon get rid of it.
miles more response on Facebook :(
But I bet they won’t provide you with proper information like @dw1305

Hi,
It was reading this post that has just prompted me to update my journal before giving my thoughts which have largely been answered already by @dw1305 and @Conort2.
I would have suggested not to have introduced the Buces to an immature aquarium (I know some people do it with great success) but I would be tempted to remove them, clean them up (it's difficult to tell from the photos as to whether it's BBA or some kind of Cyano) and site them temporarily in an area where they receive little light.
Again difficult to diagnose exactly from the photo but the Alternanthera looks like mechanical damage either Amano Shrimp or lesser beings if it is not in fine fettle, but could be various factors.
I would be prepared to slowly increase your light duration but not intensity as of yet.
Facebook is a site much more appropriate for posting photographs of your lunch ;)
Cheers!

Hi all,
it's difficult to tell from the photos as to whether it's BBA
I have a monitor (rather than just a phone) and it is <"definitely BBA">.
Facebook is a site much more appropriate for posting photographs of your lunch
No, that is Instagram.

I actually belong to a few FB groups and the insect, and local nature ones, are quite good.

Having said that most of the fish ones I've glanced at have made very grisly reading, although I expect there are some semi-decent ones.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Oh boy! how bad do i feel!

I didnt set this thread to alert me of response - i moaned that you all left me neglected and i had the audacity to be unresponsive. i am so sorry.

All valid points and i thank you all.

I am going to post a couple of updated threads in a minute with some new questions :) , keep an eye out

Back