• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dart Frog Terrarium Build

They will inevitably get behind there and get stuck.
Anyone with experience should recommend ensuring that there’s nothing they can get behind.
Will try and get some pics of the cork pieces, the background itself is totally flat, its the stuck on pieces, that have about an inch space behind them or so.

Some developments, substrate layers in!
PXL_20231026_190006976.jpg
PXL_20231026_190446252.jpg
PXL_20231026_190616035.jpg
PXL_20231026_191104285.jpg
PXL_20231026_191553987.jpg

That may be a hard sell with the other half 😂
They wouldn’t even know mate, the orange isopods are actually pretty small.
Besides the fruit flies are surely much worse 🤷🏼‍♂️

On a serious notes though. The isopods are crucial to the system as they’re partly responsible for breaking down dead and decaying plant mass and leaf litter helping to keep the system healthy.

Looking good. Humidity looks good. How’s that heat mat doing on the side? Most wouldn’t recommend it.

How long have the frogs been in? They’re stunning. And I’m very envious.

I do struggle with humidity, but this is due to inexperience, i'm getting a bit "better" at it i think.

The mister is dialled into come on thrice a day, then i check and manually mist if needed after work. I added the heat mat connected to a heat controller, it cuts out once the temp reaches 74f, so should avoid being anywhere near the danger zone of 85f. The room temp tends to keep the tank at 73f usually anyway, so it doesn't switch on very often!

They've been in about 2-3 weeks now, I definitely wish i'd let the plants grow in more, in hindsight. I have more arriving tomorrow though which should help bulk things out!

The frogs themselves are getting noticeably chunkier, still shy at times which makes me second guess myself on parameters etc, but my girlfriend says they're out during the day, so i'm probably just unlucky that i'm back in the evenings.

Great little hunters, and climbers.

Last edited:
Some species just aren’t as bold as others. D. Auratus would have been a great choice as you could house more, and they tend to be pretty bold.
With anything, experience comes with time and you’ll get there.
Remember that the humidity is all in the leaves. Nice wet leaves that dry in around 3 hours is where you want to be. You’ll know if you’re off as the frogs will stay under the leaf litter all the time.

Some species just aren’t as bold as others. D. Auratus would have been a great choice as you could house more, and they tend to be pretty bold.
With anything, experience comes with time and you’ll get there.
Remember that the humidity is all in the leaves. Nice wet leaves that dry in around 3 hours is where you want to be. You’ll know if you’re off as the frogs will stay under the leaf litter all the time.

Santa Isabel was another species I'd looked at, but the colours of the Leucomelas really drew me. In any case it's been good so far, and I'll have a better starting point for the next frog tank

Last edited:
Frog watch. I think the terrarium could look better tbh, but functionally it's doing the job so far.

Interestingly I've added some aquatic plants like hydrocotyle, crypts and pogostemon, which are doing well. Not the best for supporting the weight of a frog but good for filling in the gaps.

PXL_20240119_222250166~2.jpg

PXL_20240119_222331243.jpg

PXL_20240118_224908577.jpg

It’s looking good mate. Is the glass dish for tads? Try a coconut husk or some leaves over it to entice breeding.
It's to help the frogs regulate more than anything else, think the earliest I'll see breeding behaviour is probs another 2-3 months yet!

Will likely wait until I start hearing calls etc then consider next moves :)

Back