• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

d2's Planted Tank Adventurama

My first RAINBOWS in da HOUSE!!!! :D
I got 6 Boesemani's from ADG here in houston.

And I already lost one! :(:(:(
I had all 6 acclimating in a small bucket. I turned my back for 5 minutes. When I returned, one was on the floor, not moving, with my two cats standing over it.
I put him back in the bucket and was able to resuscitate him, but he never swam quite right after that. He didn't make it through the night.
One fish and 30 bucks down the toilet. :mad:

But the other 5 have settled in and are doing ok!

i-zSbV87P-XL.jpg

i-LnTkWTC-XL.jpg

i-x6Sxz48-XL.jpg

i-mtgKhSg-XL.jpg

And some of my Schwartzi Cory Cats hanging out...

i-j4jm7vn-XL.jpg

Them rainbows are beautiful first time really seem them. Looking good.

Dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Enjoying following this journal, love a bit of gadgetary behind a tank.

Sorry to hear about the loss of one of the rainbows, can't believe how expensive the livestock seems over there, but they are very beautiful.

Quality of the fish photography is great! I bet there were a few to delete from the camera roll.

Sorry that one of them jumped already
Have you thought about talking to Clearview lids about making a lip for you tank.

https://www.clearviewlids.com/

I bet they could make one that would take in account the wood coming out of your tank.
Thats the lid i had over my reef.
But no, impossible. Between the wood and future plants growing out the top, not gonna happen.

Beautiful fish! What a shame you already had a carpet surfer. They really are expensive over there, at my lfs they are 7€.
Hope they settle in quickly and dont jump anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful fish! What a shame you already had a carpet surfer. They really are expensive over there, at my lfs they are 7€.
Hope they settle in quickly and dont jump anymore.

Thanks!
Guess I'm just used to the prices of nice fish. On the saltwater side, a common yellow tang will sell for $30 but a decent sized Purple Tang will go for $100-150 usd.
When I see small fw fish for a few bucks a piece that seems like the deal of the century. LOL :D

Thanks!
Guess I'm just used to the prices of nice fish. On the saltwater side, a common yellow tang will sell for $30 but a decent sized Purple Tang will go for $100-150 usd.
When I see small fw fish for a few bucks a piece that seems like the deal of the century. LOL :D

Tell me about it! I’m a saltwater convert myself.
You can see some pics of my last tank in my journal, first post has a link.
I have seen your tanks on reefcentral over the years.

Went to my LFS to pick up a few more plants but couldn't resist getting a few of these Albino Rainbows while I was there. :D

i-kpHqH58-XL.jpg

i-LDQH8qx-XL.jpg

Throw them in a reef tank and you've got some nice anthias. :)
Cool looking fish!
HA!
Just yesterday I was joking with a friend about acclimating a Purple Tang to freshwater. Because that would be awesome. lol

Superb pictures and fishes!:pompus:

Saw some beautiful rainbows in my LFS this Morning, they're cheap in France, from 5€ to 10€ depending on the sp. :)

Here's a new FTS after adding more plants...

i-q6Js6RJ-XL.jpg

And my Buce Red has a new bud that looks like its about to open...

i-sfCTVJM-O.jpg

How is the tank progressing Dennis? Curious to see a FTS ;)
It looks exactly the same as that last FTS, except for some blue green cyano in the moss. :rolleyes:
My nitrates dropped to zero. I've gotten them up to 20-25 now. The cyano seems under control. I've been trying to suck out what I can with a turkey baster.
And I was JUST wondering when I could start increasing light intensity. LOL

WOW, 30 days since my last update! It's been a busy month. Work, freelance, holiday shenanigans...

So some things have been happing.
For one... GROWTH! :D It's really starting to fill out. Yesterday I actually trimmed a few things.

Something not so good that has happened since my last post was blue/green cyano. It popped up all in the moss, and two small patches on the wood. I tested and realized my nitrates had dropped to zero. I was able to halt its growth by dosing potassium nitrate and sucking out what I could daily with a turkey baster, and then after a week of that and seeing it wasn't spreading anymore, I got my hands on some UltraLife Blue-Green Stain Remover and the cyano was completely gone in about 3 days.

Something else not so good is I lost two of my Boesemani Bows within about a week of each other. One jumped. I found him about 20 ft from the tank. Must have been a cat toy for a bit. The other body was never recovered. So I'm down to 6 bows total. Maybe I can pick up some more over Xmas break.

Once the cyano disappeared, I finally started increasing my light intensity! I've had it coming on early in the morning but at a super low intensity, with a spike late in the afternoon. So I've just been upping the intensity overall for the entire photo period.
I've also been decreasing my Co2 a bit. My only guide is the glass c02 drop checker. I was originally trying to get a 1 degree drop in pH but anything close turns the drop checker liquid to a more yellowy green. I've now got it to a dark green. my Ph current runs between 7.3-6.7

The only thing I've been adding the tank occasionally is a little potassium and some Flourish micros.

So some questions based on some observations.... mainly being growth related.
1) My Monte Carlo still isn't taking off. I'm assuming this is due to the lower light levels?
2) My stem plants grow tall and thin/wispy. Lots of space between sets of leaves, and even the leaves will change shape from almost round to long/skinny. Again, I'm assuming it's a light intensity issue?
3) When trimming stem plants, what happens at the point of the cut? Will it sprout new branches there or just continue growing straight up?
4) How do I need to know if I need additional flow in the tank? All I have right now are the two Oase 600 filters and their outputs are at the surface. The good thing is the sand bed has stayed clean other than fish poo! No problems with soil mixing in or anything like that. lol

Thanks! Here's the pics!

i-XG9hGRh-XL.jpg

i-wKksFd6-XL.jpg

i-2RRwmhg-XL.jpg

i-Q9njmR7-XL.jpg

i-NsS5Tqq-X2.jpg

i-vp5JCBf-XL.jpg

i-6X7gxFs-XL.jpg

i-Zgc5KRj-XL.jpg

i-zdqFNf9-XL.jpg

i-56k8FM5-XL.jpg

Back