• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cycling with k1 from a koi pond.

superpuma

Hi

Am in the process of setting up my first planted tank, it'll be a sumped elos120 at approx 350 litres, it was previously one of my reef setups....

ln the marine world it's common to have an internal filter sponge or in my case an internal filter running in the sump, the filter can then be taken out and used to cycle a qt tank when and as reqd. Just had a thought, l have a koi pond, part of the filtration system is fluidised k1. Any body see any issues with some of the said k1 going in an internal and being used to cycle / seed my planted set ups filtration system. Obviously there's parasites to think about, have had no such issues for a long, long time, all koi are fit and very healthy.....

Mike

should be fine you could also fill the tank with pond water instead of tap water too so it'd be ready almost immediately.

I think you probably could if you really feel the need but it would be a very good idea to fish less cycle your tank anyway as that will give you the time needed to sort out the C02, the flow & matching the lighting!
Any sump driven planted tank will need lots of attention to detail to get thing in balance as you will be losing C02 down the overflow at some rate, you will need to adjust the input levels accordingly.
Get a really big gas bottle & spend lots of time getting thing right before introducing fish as to much gas will kill them & too little will just give algae issues.
I love sumps but you need to understand the pros & cons when using them on a planted tank :)

Thanks for your replys. Everything here in Norway is a slow process, the plants l want have to be ordered, as do the fish... Plants arrive next week, fish 7 days later. Tank is up and running,co2 bottle to be collected tomorrow, shall play with the co2 over the weekend, hopefully it'll be under control for when the plants arrive. lt'll then be 7 days running with plants and co2 until the fish arrive. l'm already doing a fishless cycle with Preis Baktoplan, shall use the k1 as back up when the fish go in.

Mike

If you are going to use some mature KI then do it now as there will be some bacteria die off as the conditions change from the pond to tank.
What is the pond temp at the moment as the bacteria will be dormant a low temperature?
How are you going to inject the C02?

Hi

Pond is currently at 10 degrees C, l realise there could be issues there. The bac can't be totally dormant, my pond full of koi get fed all through the winter, pond is covered and heated. I am using an UP Atomizer in the return line from sump to tank, the return in the tank points at the opposite end to the overflow, hopefully that will ' ensure ' good co2 distribution in the tank, we'll see.

Mike

Hi

l've a tunze nanostream 6045 in the tank for extra circulation. l realise you doubt the UP, l shall try and see how it goes, l see it as a better option than the reactor that came with the jbl kit.

You mean just supply the co2 to the inlet of the return pump? That's another option l suppose.

Just been through your day job, a fantastic looking pond, one day.......

Mike

Back