• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cyanobacteria and a lot more... help!

Hi @xim thanks for the reply :) When you say chemical, what sort of approach would you recommend for this? I would obviously prefer to avoid it if possible, but I have heard a lot of different things about using peroxide. Any experiences with this?

Yes, H2O2 3% in a spray bottle, spray it underwater, like this guy on youtube:

The max I have used was 90-ml in a 340-litre tank before doing water change.

Some plants may melt a bit. The ones that suffer the most are true aquatic plants such as Vallisneria and Blyxa.

Thanks @xim ive ordered some on ebay so will give it a try. Will test on a small patch in the aquarium and monitor it for a while, then will try a bit more providing the results do not do any damage to livestock and plants :)

The spray bottle is not air tight, if it was it would be sucked vacuum when spraing out it's contenst, but it doesn't, you pump contents out and air back in.. So if you pump peroxide out with the bottle (spray head) submersed, air can't get back into the bottle, right? There is nothing else to replace the air than the dirty tankwater which is sucked into the bottle mixing and reacting with and deluting the peroxide in there.

anyway if you not intent to empty the bottle straight away with one treat, i would not hold the bottle submersed while spraying. It's a waste of the rest peroxide in there. :)

Thats a good point, I had wondered about this! What i was going to do is spray underwater, then return the bottle to the surface before releasing the spray handle so that it would take in air. Wonder if that would work!!

Yes it likely would, but than using a 5ml syringe is more effective with spot treating. I use a glass one with needle, slides a bit easier then the rubber sealed plastic syringes.. :) Peroxide realy works great, but no need to get out the big guns, you do not need massive amount of it.. Personaly i use a little 30 ml spray bottle for spraying.. And +/- 110 ml peroxide a month on 2 tanks.

My bottle collapses, have to remove the head to let air in after using it. :p

But yes, I thought of the issue too, just didn't mention about it thinking it might be too long. So this is what I use, the container is always above the water.

spray_head_zpso9gw4l7c.jpg

From the OP's last picture, I think a spray head is more convenient.

By the way, I think the chance of algae not coming back after the treatment will be much bigger if you have some shrimp. Oto's are not effective dealing with stringy algae. I only won after having shrimp.

my bet is the lights are too strong. the plants which have low light needs will develop algae in those circumstances. if your fast growing plants look fine but algae is still there or if blackouts worked before then we know the algae is related , so just dial it down and see..

Thanks guys, @Easternlethal I have now turned off the Kessil A360 to see if that will have any effect. Think you could be right, the lamp in the middle is where the Hair Algae seems to be growing. I will start with turning it off, then increase until things settle down. Still waiting for Hydrogen Peroxide, think im going to need it to now fix this issue!

Back