• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cryptocoryne legroi

rainbowhead

Seedling
Hi all,

I have had a couple of the above in my tank for over 6 months now. They have been doing really well so far. Sending out runners too. However the other day I saw that the leaves were starting to 'melt'. Is there anything I should do or can do to stop it? Is the plant dead now?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

It's a common enough phenomena thought to be triggered by changing environmental conditions or during the transition from emergent and immersed growth forms.
Apparently it's also often thought to be triggered by a build up of nitrates.
Mine seem to do it randomly, although quite slowly, so often new leaves replace the melting leaves at the same or faster rate.
Either way, usually, they recover and new leaves replace those lost to melt quite quickly...

Ok thank you. Nothing has changed in my tank recently so I guess it's doing it randomly.

Either way, usually, they recover and new leaves replace those lost to melt quite quickly...

Agreed.

I would also recommend to cut off the leaves that are melting, as that spams the growing of new leaves and reduces the wastes in the tank.

Cheers,

Would it not be best to cut off all the leaves?

Would it not be best to cut off all the leaves?

Well, if all the leaves are in so bad condition...it makes sense. I did it in the past with some Cryptocorine sp. that arrived in bad conditions for planting and they came back in few days. However, note that when they do not have leaves, they cannot do practically photosynthesis, so they grow at expenses of their reservoirs in the rest of the plant, so it could be that not all the individuals will survive to a total cut. If there are leaves healthy enough is better to preserve them so the plant recovers faster and there are less chances of total death. You can progressively remove the damaged leaves.

Ok thanks that makes sense. I have had a good close up look and can see some bright green 'buds' coming through so I had better just remove the leaves as they die and let nature take its course...

Back