• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cryptocoryne Annamica : dream journey

AnhBui

Read this post recently and just want to share with you guys about a rare plant. Original post is in the end of this thread and written in Vietnamese

Hello ABV members, it's been awhile since my last post here. I am a hobbyist, a crypt. collector. And like other nature lovers I always want to discover Vietnam's nature. In 2015 I visited Gia Lai Kontum to find a very rare crypt. that listed in ICUN red list. I had never seen it before and all information about the plant I had very unclear. And I failed to find it among vast Gia Lai Kontum jungles

Returned Gia Lai Kontum in 2016 with passion but in fact I did not really know where and how I should start my journey.

Below is my photo report of the journey
6:00AM I stopped at Kontum bus station with a friend. We hired a local man to be our guide. It is because we did not have GPS and were afraid that we might be lost
IMG_1220.jpg

After meeting with some local hobbyist and friends we started
IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

In two days we went through different territories from small savanna, woodland, jungle to swamp...

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1604_1.jpg

There were many types of aquatic and emersed plants in this fountain, but not what I am looking for. At this time we were travelling 5 hours in jungle. We were running out of water. We brought knife, eggs, rice and matches. It's getting dark. We stopped at a camp and had our dinner
IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

. It's cold at night and we had never experienced that cold in the middle of jungle before. We slept at 8:00PM and set our alarm at 5:00AM

We had our breakfast and continued to our journey. Path ahead was very stiff, slippy, we had to grip on tree, plant for moving forward
12:00 PM no food, no water. My legs kept cramping every 30 minutes. I started feeling dispirited and decided to go back

A few photos of what we met on the journey
-Begonia
IMG_1607.jpg

And other plants
IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

On tiring and boring way back I still hoped that I could find C. Annamica. And then I found it. An excitement run through my veins
IMG_1615_1.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1614.jpg

A shot to mark my 22
IMG_1621.jpg

I could see that this is an ideal environment but only found 50 bushes. A really rare plant and it is the reason why it is in the Red list. After many years I am one of not so many Vietnamese people see it with our own eyes among Tay Nguyen jungles

5 hours back and stopped a local village for food. Another day at Quy Nhon and return to Sai Gon. I have learned and experienced a lot during this journey and I hope that one day I would find one for more unknown crypt. of Vietnam. Thanks for reading the post
-------------------------------

Original post here
http://www.aquabird.com.vn/forum/showthread.php?t=130321&p=1569661#post1569661

Last edited:
Back